Radiator Fans- Stay Stock, or Go Electric?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sasquatch094

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you didnt say garage did you?? or is this your shop that you call a garage.. bcuz that would be a SICK garage man..

95TwinTT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is the shop connected to the place where I work. I am just starting to remodel my garage at home to make room for this hoist. I have a 4 stall garage at the house, that in a few months, will have heated floor with floor drains and the hoist. I need to be able to wash the cars at home.

It is difficult here in Minnesota to keep the salt off the cars. I'm in the process of selling this building, so I need to move the toys home. Seems like, garages are never big enough.

Once you start using a hoist, it is hard to go back to crawling around on the floor. I still do some things on the floor, but the hoist is the way to go. :yesnod:

Attachments

• Extra Disc 3 258.jpg
    Extra Disc 3 258.jpg
    148 KB · Views: 7

treepete

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Del, your garage is out of hand.
I looked at the switch idea for manually turning on my fans, and I think Im going to do it.

today on the way to work, my temp never got to above 170ish, and my fans never turned on that I could tell. It seems that my yukon wqont go over 170.. but im only on the freeway for about 4 miles, maybe its not running hard enough to heat up.

Im going to play with the turn on tempature and dial it down just al ittle to see if they activate.

OK i just got word from the warden that Ill be going to grandmas tonight to bust out some landscaping. That about a 40 minute drive on the expressway, so thatll be the test.
Later Ill be raving and posting pictures of the fans, or raging and posting pictures of me giving the fans the finger. :D

mattress

Reaction score
Mattress, that kit has a great description, maybe it will work for your model year?

It'll work for my year, but will it work well enough I don't know, If I do get it, I'll post a review, it'll be a while before I can though.

treepete

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I gotta think that this setup would work for you. its 2 fans, with the exact same thermostatic control concept that the perma-cool fans have. 2 fans that move 3000CFM each, will definately be enough to keep everything cool.
A/C auto on, and adjustable temp control, "rivals flex-a-lite brand"
all sound like winning features.

I drove last night for quite a while on the expressway, and I see that the fans are turning on at about 190ish degrees, and off somewhere around 160ish. I would have more accurate data, but I have analog readouts in the dash.

All you guys help on this has been great for the last 2 weeks. Thanks again for all your help.

:D :D :D :D :D :D

95TwinTT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pete,

The 2.2k does not sound right. I will look it up when I get back to the shop tonight. I should be able to post it later tonight.............

Del

95TwinTT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pete,

The 2.2k does not sound right. I will look it up when I get back to the shop tonight. I should be able to post it later tonight.............

Del

The correct resistor to use with these LED tipped toggle switches is a 1K ohm 1/4 watt. I have been using the 5% resistors sold at Radio Shack. When in doubt, use higher resistance and work your way down. Or if your a math wiz, you can figure out the voltage drop you need with "Ohm's law". :)

treepete

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yeah, my mistake. 2.2k is incorrect. I found this calculator-thingy. maybe it wil be helpful to someone.

Thanks Del, I will order the proper stuff.

I had to edit this post a few times, because I didnt see your second reply. Sorry if it seems disjointed, or you get the wrong notifications.

95TwinTT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Be sure to do the math using 14.5 volts as the source. That is where the system normally is at when the engine is running.

Over voltage is the one thing that will kill a LED. If you are not sure about resistance, you want to err on the high side.

I don't think they gave a current spec on these switches. That's why I went with 1K. If you know the forward current draw, you can be more precise.

I really like these switches. It's great to be able to know if a switch is on or off, in the dark, with just a quick glance.

JP422

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, after seeing the awsome pics from TwinTT and Pete, I got the same Perma-Cool kit... I love it!

It looks great... and the fans are remarkably quiet. I also threw in a 160* thermostat, and I don't really hear my fans going off very much. I also have a short drive to work, so maybe they're just not getting hot enough. I even turned down the 'on' setting.

As for fit, they fit great, and were easy to install, but for some reason, my radiator to fan gap was too big. They recommend .50"-1.00"... and I was way over that. My truck has a replacement radiator (my dad replaced the original yrs ago) so perhaprs it's a bit thin? Anyway, I drilled new mounting holes in the pretty top cover... about .75" back. This put my fans exactly .75" from the radiator fins. Perfect.

I also riveted the stock power block onto the fan shroud... pretty much where it was originally. I used rivets because I was too lazy to remove the fan shroud. If I ever do, then I'll replace the rivets w/ proper nuts and bolts.... but it's really fins as it is right now.

I just have to hook up the AC wire lead... and like Pete, I'm stumped as to which wire to hook it up to. I'm tempted to tap into the blue wire on the AC clutch, but the instructions say to hook up to the Drier. I'll have to call them up on this one... or if anyone knows... please share!

I also want to hook up this same lead to an on-on switch... like TwinTT mentioned. That's a great idea for automoatic AC turn on, and manual turn on.

As for the overall results... the truck is MUCH quieter!... when idle... or while driving... (plus my exhuast is stock, so It's even quieter) It' also seems to be smoother, and yes, it does accelerate a bit better than before. I want to start recording my mpg... but this along w/ my new brake setup is making me drive more aggressive =P and my mpg isn't that great. I'll probably start to record it when I settle down... but overall, I love driving this truck!

Thanks for all the tips fellas!

sasquatch094

Full Access Member
Reaction score
damn son, your just buying everything huh?? lol wehres some pics to this beast?? and how much?? lol

sasquatch094

Full Access Member
Reaction score
what kind of CFM are we looking to get out of a fan to properly cool my truck?

JP422

Full Access Member
Reaction score
haha.. This one is hardly a beast... just a bunch of mold upgrades... but I've always had the disease, and I know you do too =) ... I've just held out on this truck untill now. All my other cars are way beyond return... and to be honest, it's getting tougher and more expensive to keep them registered in CA (smog stuff... you know)
Anyway, this truck is my toy hauler, so I just wanted it to be reliable, and efficient. Besides not being able to get much $$ for it if I sold it, I work at major automobile design studio that builds very reliable cars/trucks. I am always tempted to switch to these newer trucks... and some of the employee pricing is very tempting... but I have waaay too much history w/ this truck... plus I kinda like how rare it's becomming. I wanted to make this truck reliable and give it a new life... and fix all the small bugs, etc. Almost like a restoration I guess.... and so far, it's working. I did invest a good amount lately, but it's still cheaper than buying another truck... plus I really love wrenching and driving.

The funny thing was my wife actually hated it...and always thought we'd sell it soon... but recentlly, she drove it, and really liked it... so it looks like this Yukon is gonna be w/ us a bit longer.

I finally sold some other car parts... so this was all hobby money... =) Keep it circulating... you know~

besides... I saw that perdy lil engine bay of your other toy... haha.

JP422

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I swapped out my clutch fan to Efan yrs ago on my Audi A4... it's on a Spal thin fan and a Spal PWM controller. You can definitely feel the difference, but damn, the straight blade fan on that car is SO loud. The Permacool alum fans are near silent. You can hardly hear them from inside the car.

Some other popular junkyard fans seem to be the NBS truck dual GM fans... do they fit our trucks too?

sasquatch094

Full Access Member
Reaction score
haha surprised u rememberd it,I have that same problem as you everyday, but i look at it like "oh i can get 7grand out of my truck right now" but 7grand will never get me back to this state again.... ahh but i hate cars,..they dont do anything for you u know what i mean.. well yea they get u around, but like u know.