Having some issues with my 99...battery related

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Garden Hoe

Reaction score
So this just started happening.....I could tell that the battery seemed weak. Then today it wouldn't crank, just click. So I jumped it and it was fine the amps read 14 and my lights and locks worked before i tried to start it. Then I shut it down after 10 minutes and tried to restart with no luck. I pulled some fuses and checked the terminal connections. I put it on a charger and it was almost full power. So my question is, how is there not enough power to crank it, but when it's jumped and is running the battery seems to be at full charge??

992door

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You might want to take the battery cables off clean them and put them back on they might just be loose or something.

41racing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The gauge that was reading 14 is a volts gauge. It sounds like you battery is bad and won't take/hold a charge. Your alternator is likely putting out as much as it can trying to charge the battery, this is hard on the alternator. Have your battery tested, it's likely bad. Just like 992door said, be sure to clean you connections also.

Loomis

Reaction score
oh wow

Mines been doing that lately also.. but I can start mine days after wards. I'm pretty sure batteries shot, because I had system on that battery and it just destroyed it I think. I got the High Output Alternator, and the Amp still drew more volts then the Alt put out. I think shes shot. PLUS It hasnt really been driven in the last 5 months at least.

Rollin Thunder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have had this happen too. My battery cables were corroded. New cables and a new yellow top. Was perfect. :thumbsup:

treepete

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you should get 14+ volts when your alternator is running and working properly. when your engine is off, you should have like 12.5 ish volts at the battery terminals.
read across the posts with a multimeter, and if your not getting 12 volts, your battery is probably poo-poo.

its a good excuse to never have a battery problem again with a spiral cell Optima. Red Top is what I used, Yellow Top is what RT uses. Blue top is what you put in a boat I think, but not positive. GET IT??! positive?

I got nuthin. check your connections, but I think your battery is poopoo. or a loose/corroded cable is preventing current from charging the battery.

Garden Hoe

Reaction score
ok problem solved. Thanks for the replies everyone. I dropped a new battery in there and its good to go