wheel locks in tight turns

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hodaddy

Reaction score
I have a 2-wheel-drive '01 Tahoe LT with about 76K mi and for about the last 2-3 months it has had this problem: When I slow down and turn tightly to the left (left only) I feel a wheel (assuming a rear wheel) grab and skid. Even when I straighten out and continue to drive ahead, it takes a second or two for the wheel (or whatever is grabbing) to loosen up. I also have a whine in the rear at about 45mph but otherwise drives fine. I just want a little knowledge before entering the service dept. Thanks!!

Sepiroth

Spam Executioner
Reaction score
It reads as if your rear end posi unit, assuming that your truck has a G80, is having a problem and will need to be replaced.

chevytech03

Reaction score
You might be able to save some money, have it serviced, if there is not alot of metal in the rear axle, i would suggest putting synthetic gear lube with 2 bottles of gm posi additve, give it a few hundred miles see it it gets any better, if not, it's posi unit time. The whine at 45mph is probly the ring and pinion, I don't want to say it's normal, but it is hard and expensive to get rid of, actually, GM used to say if you can have a conversation with the radio on, and can't hear the rear end whine, don't attempt to repair.LOL, tell that to a customer that just spent $40,000, GM changed the cut on the ring and pinion gears on later models, alot quieter.