Went from 24s to 26s HELP!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rodrign

Reaction score
I recently traded a friend that has the same year Yukon as mine rims and tires. We both have the TPMS sensors in our wheels, but on my vehicle my computer now shows "check pressure monitor system" along with that annoying yellow apostrophe???? Would this just be a simple reseting of the TPMS sensors as if I rotated them?? Also each tire on the computer now reads "FR--" "FL--" "RL--" "RR--"..

rodrign

Reaction score
Thanks! When you say "reset" do mean act as if I rotated tires and go through the motions per the manual?

brodg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
it needs to learn the new sensor id's , follow the manual as if you just rotated the tires.

llcali

Reaction score
Im in the same boat and the shop that mounted the tires told me that since my 26's show 50ish psi and stocks were 30ish i would always have that msg since hoe was expecting a 30ish value. Is that true or is he full of s**t and a reset would fix it?

73shark

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think anything over the max pressure for the OEM tires w/ cause a pressure trip.

rodrign

Reaction score
my pops had the same problem on his 08 2500 after he installed 35's. Service told em they would need to reset the TPMS sensors to a higher rang to except 45-50 pounds.

brodg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
basically if you put tires on that require a higher psi you have to setup the tpm with a tech 2 with the new value ie tire type and pressures wich only can be done with a tech 2

rodrign

Reaction score
well.... I'm back.. I went through the relearning process, you know, with the horn honk, then go to the next tire, let air out horn will honk, etc. I went all the way till the wheel was flat and I got no response from my Yukon excepting the TPMS sensors?? Any one got any more ideas? I'd hate to go to the dealer and spend millions of dollars on top of that hearing a service tech telling me "these wheels don't belong on this truck" :umn:

e-dub75

Full Access Member
Reaction score
IMO I would try calling around to some rim shops that are known for putting larger wheels on SUV's and tell them the problem and see if they can help.

Wouldn't mind seeing some pics of the truck also (hint, hint).

rodrign

Reaction score
oh for sure. I'll get pics up tomorrow. I didn't really feel a difference from
24s to 26s..almost rides the same except for that hard left turn..DANG DOES IT RUB!! But big difference in look being I have the XL. Good news is the guy I traded is now having the same problem and we both decided to swap out sensors:yesnod:

rodrign

Reaction score
who ever wants to check out the Yukon XL on the new 6's, click on my name RODRIGN and view public profile..

DefEddie

Reaction score
Just throwing in my experience since I mess with TPMS often,though not on GM(on Ford).
The TPMS sensors don't really care what PSI the tire is,they only care what PSI difference there is between the tires.
For instance on a Ford you can have 20psi in each tire and no light. But if you have 20 psi in 3 tires and 18 psi (2lb difference) in the 4th then you will get a light.

Some TPMS systems don't even use sensors,my wifes Impala uses the ABS sensors to guage rolling resistance and uses it to determine low tire pressure.
Like I said,my experience is on Ford's though-but none of their classes i've taken have mentioned anything about higher or lower pressures than stock causing a TPMS light and i've not seen it cause a problem either.
Hope some of that info helps you guys,even if it is from Ford