The New GM Ipod Kit

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jameym00

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I went and visited the local GM dealer today to inquire about the IPod kit for the new Tahoe's and the bad news is it will not be out till May. But the good news is it will hold the ipod and charge it and your Nav screen will control it, a lot better than the lock pick! I guess we have to wait it out

jmitchell

Reaction score
Did you happen to ask about the release of the new Bluetooth handsfree factory installed kits? I wonder if we can add these to our '07 & '08's that aren't already setup with it.

smoothfrc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Any update on this? Went to my chevy dealer today and asked about this and they looked at me like i had three heads.

Any part number info?

08Tahoer

Reaction score
I just ordered a "Part Number: AXIPGMLAN Product Name: GM LAN iPod / RCA input to factory radio", from ebay for $108. I Believe its everything your looking for and more. the link below takes you to the scosche website and has a youtube video link that shows you it installed in a 08 tahoe. I'm going to install tomorrow. i can let ya know how it goes.

http://www.scosche.com/products/sfID1/151/sfID2/159/productID/562

Here is link to a gm pal for sale on ebay, it doesnt say its compatible with tahoe but i expect it is.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=160236657974

smoothfrc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was more interested in the GM PAL system, as i dont want to have to hop on one leg while pushing the gas pedal and clicking on the highbeams to get the ipod to work.

I have also heard about the restrictions of scanning through the playlist's and such with other systems... Not sure if the lockpic tools would be a compliment to these other systems.

Anyone know any details about the PAL in this regard?

gtcream17

Reaction score
smooth, from what i was reading, it could be wrong, the PAL just plays the songs from the ipod, one by one. doesn't give you playlist, videos, or folders like the PAC or Lockpic offers. also you cannot use radio or steeringwheel controls.

smoothfrc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i thoght the entire point to the pal was full integration. we currently have the ability to just use the audio input jack.

i thought i read something about apple working on the pal system for gm.

08Tahoer

Reaction score
Ok Just intalled the scosche unit from my above post into my 2008 Tahoe LT with Navigation. Exactly what i wanted. I could explain it at full length but this link i found breaks it down and shows you how easy the install is too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ywi8Tmm1Opk

This particular model works with 2006 or newer silverado,tahoe, or suburban, and have navigation. It took 10 min to install. all i need was a couple zip ties. i can upload some pic if you want them.

I just have the ipod in my glove box, but the wire is long enough to run to the center console, but it doesn't matter because once you plug it in you can just forget about it. it like an external hard drive for you navigation. and charges itself too.

smoothfrc: ya i agree with not wanting to hop one one legto get it to work. Not the case,the only different thing you do is hold the seek button for two seconds to go into you ipod mode thats it everything else is as user friendly as xm. after reading all the reveiws and reading the instructions i was scared it might be complicated and a hasel. but after showing my wife how to use it in 5min, it as simple as using the XM menus. Actually its the same menu just different content,.. on one side you have playlist, artist, genre, and something else. then when you select on of those like playlist, it shows all of your playlist you have created on you ipod. all of this is shown on the above link.

gtcream: I have all the same steering wheel functions that i have when on xm.
I don't know about video.

I read somewhere it helps to organize your songs on your ipods for easier access with nav, but i haven't had any problems. You can even access your most recently added songs on a sublist of your playlist. all of which are touch screen.

I was waiting for the pal too. But this scosche unit is everything I though the pal was going to be. just wanta pass the info along.

let me know what you thought of link.

smoothfrc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for your thoughts on that unit.... Are their any limitations on the scanning??? i thought i read that you could only scan 35 items or something (top 35 artists, playlists, etc..)

If not, they may be getting my business :)

08Tahoer

Reaction score
I need to play with it a little more. It must be the navi that limits the items to 35( unsure if 35 is even the limit). I think the xm is the same way you can just prioritize your favorites.

I'll check but you may over come the 35 problem by organizing you ipod folders to meet your needs. Under playlist menu set up 35 playlists and under each playlist have 35 songs giving you 1225 songs. I would bet the pal would have the same limitation.

I'm just guessing on this. i'll dock my ipod onto my computer and get some facts to you tomorrow.

smoothfrc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I really dont know enough about it, so i am just asking questions... i can just see having to manually use the IPOD anyway if there are the limits on scanning. I imagine the PAL would be the same way, but maybe with the addition of the lockpic software, it would be usable.

I can understand limiting the features for the driver, but it is very frustrating when the passenger cannot do anything either.