TB spacer

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

95ThAHOE

Reaction score
Do throttle body spacers really do what they say they do? I mean the poweraid tb spacer says something like +25 ft/lbs and +20hp give or take. I dont know i just read about em and was wondering cause for 100 bucks itd be worth it but it kinda sounds like a bunch of crap.

mary900

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In theory in today's vehicle, a spacer would allow for a greater amount of air to be held in the throttle body assembly in order for a engine not to have to work as hard in getting the air into the engine.

I have not used a spacer but I do not buy into it. Others who have used them may have better insight.

General Stalin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They are crap. I have read pretty much everwhere on the net about them way back when (because like yourself, I too was contemplating getting one) and pretty much the common ground is that they are a terrible waste of money and pretty much just makes a high pitch noise when you throttle. More annoying than anything. From reading testimonials and reviews about them, I would suggest not getting one. Just get a nice after market air intake and call it a day (or super charge it if you are feeling crazy =P).

EDIT: Also, to clarify, the idea of a throttle body spacer (ore a carb spacer) is to increase the height of the plenum to help atomize your air/fuel mixture better before it enters the engine.

Biggwaukegan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
haha...you guys crack me up. throttle body spacers help with certain types of motors. for the 95 it will for sure help... i have a 97 and it made a nice noticable difference right away. dont think it will work for tahoes/yukons 99 or newer but for the tbi motors this helps. its like 90 bucks so its not gonna harm the college fund but i will tell you it helps with gas mileage and more torque. do what you want

Biggwaukegan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
my brother is a tech engineer so he tells me whats phony and what works. ill pull up his post from another website with all his smart lingo once i find it.

flyboy1304

Reaction score
well if you want to waste money then get it, a better idea use it as a paper weight.... lol... I guess it depends on who you talk too. You can look up fast man throttle bodies. he bores them out to make them bigger. I know on my other truck the TB spacers dont do anything. dont know about the yukons tho
good luck

Biggwaukegan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
like i said do what you want. but for me it works and pitty the poor soul that runs up on this tahoe thinking their gonna fly past me....then we will see how it works....along with a few minor things...

General Stalin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't see how a throttle body spacer would work on a 97 Tahoe (I didn't even know they made a spacer for vortec engines). It's multi-port injection, and the fuel is mixed at the intake port, not in the throttle body. Just doesn't seem like adding an extra inch of height to an air throttle would make a difference.

In theory, like I said, a throttle body spacer is supposed to work just like a carb spacer. It increaces the plenum so that when you throttle, the air goes into the throttle body and the fuel is injected into the moving air, down into the throttle bores. The spacer basically adds height to your throttle bores and (depending on the spacer that you buy) often times has a sort os spiral/helix/swirl pattern carved into the holes of the spacer. This is supposed to mix the air and fuel together for better atomization as it enters the intake manifold, and then the combustion chamber.

While I'm sure that it DOES work, for pretty much every review that I have read online, it does not make a noticeable difference in the least. If you read reviews on it like I said, the vast majority of people who have purchased and installed this spacer on vehicles similar to ours (1987-1995 full-size GM trucks) have had no luck making any mileage or performance gains. It's another gimmick bolt-on, really. Some people might convince themselves that it makes a difference, and who knows; it may actually make a decent difference to some people. I trust the majority rule in consumer experience, and if most of the people who have tried it, think it is not worth it, then usually it's not... unless of course you have $80 - $90 to toss away on something "just for the hell of it."

Biggwaukegan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
man...its works what else can i say. i mean i could go into a 5 paragraph essay on it but bottom line is it works. Im not convincing myself it works it actually does. But hey do what you want. Ive gotten better low end torque and seemingly better mpg as well. Like i said i noticed it as soon as it was installed. goes great with the headers, magnaflow dual cats and dual flowmaster 40 series.