Tahoe takes time to start

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ATTOJ

Reaction score
my 99 tahoe takes a couple seconds to start. whenever anyone hears it they say "oh man i thought it wasn't going to start" lol. does anyone have an idea what this could be?

peterey2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
mine does the same thing on the first start after sitting for 4+ hours or so. mines got the TBI motor tho, so its normal. after heated up, the motor fires up in no time. in your case, assuming you have the Vortec motor, id check fuel pressure. and then go from there.

JsnChristianson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In my experience, my 1997 (same engine as your vehicle) did that for a short time as the fuel pump was beginning to fail. I might suggest looking into a problem with the fuel pump.

SoTahoe

Reaction score
Fuel pump

You should have a difference once you change your fuel pump...I had the same problem

BBCCARGUY

Reaction score
taking time to start

Hello all newby here I am currently having the same problem with my 95 tahoe when it is cold it takes some time to start, is there a port on the hoe so I can verify the fuel pressure is low(not that I dont believe any of you) but it seems to be that Im always the one that has to go the farthest extreme to get something fixed every time. I dont have the vortec.

bsamoul

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello all newby here I am currently having the same problem with my 95 tahoe when it is cold it takes some time to start, is there a port on the hoe so I can verify the fuel pressure is low(not that I dont believe any of you) but it seems to be that Im always the one that has to go the farthest extreme to get something fixed every time. I dont have the vortec.

You'll have to get a fuel pressure gauge

HaKs310

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You'll have to get a fuel pressure gauge

Ditto. They are simple to install, I have one on my 95.

I wouldn't worry about it to0 much as others have said though, its a TBI so its normal.

95TwinTT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
my 99 tahoe takes a couple seconds to start. whenever anyone hears it they say "oh man i thought it wasn't going to start" lol. does anyone have an idea what this could be?

Before you do anything else, pull the vacuum line off of the fuel pressure regulator and see if it's wet with gas.

It should be dryer than a popcorn fart.