Tahoe just killed on me

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Loomis

Reaction score
Was leaving house, then all the sudden killed.. there was nothing trying to start it again.. Pop hood couldn't figure it out, then all the sudden i heard it buzzing and it had power again tried starting it popped right off. gave it gas and it cutted out and killed. Lately I've been having trouble if its really cold out trying to start it... there will be nothing then all the sudden it will pop off.. but I never had this killing problem

y0diggity

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had a similar issue last week, from what you've described. It turned out to be the alternator. It was shot. I would start it and it would die. Then nothing. Then it would do the "clicking" noise that they make when the battery is too low to activate the solenoid. Then after a few minutes it would start again. I could drive for a block or so, then it would die again. Took the alternator in and they tested it. It was dead. replaced it and all is good.

Loomis

Reaction score
Alternators not even a year old. Its the high output one, better not be that

treepete

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well you can go to your gas tank and give it a good lashing. I heard that one swift hit can get you back on the road in a pinch, but it only works a few times.

your symptoms sound like fuel pump is failing. Seems like a rash of it lately..must be the cold.

DefEddie

Reaction score
Get your battery tested.
If it is the alt,then it will be under warranty. Get both tested at most auto parts stores for free.

96ProCompTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
have you checked your battery cable to make sure they haven't come loose? i had a similar problem and the POS cable was a tad loose.

Loomis

Reaction score
I took battery out, had a full charge. Put it back in, and got it started, hit the gas in park, killed it. Tried starting it again, acts like it has no power again. GOD this is so annoying

y0diggity

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have you had the alternator checked? It's pretty easy to get out. Just haul it down to the parts store and they'll test it for you.

Loomis

Reaction score
Well the battery was full charged so Alt is working.

DefEddie

Reaction score
As I read,your describing the problem my wifes car has been exhibiting.
I've eliminated the starter,starter relay,battery and alt with a multimeter but the problem stopped before I could test furthur.
I did eliminate enough for me to narrow it down to either a relay that I know will be in the starter circuit for the remote start unit I can't find or the ignition circuit itself.
I'm pretty sure it's in the ignition circuit,but need a wiring diagram to go any furthur with it.

You need to have a friend try to start the truck while you verify some key points in the circuit to find out where your losing the power.
Post up a wiring diagram for your truck and I might be able to help.
You got a good meter?

Loomis

Reaction score
no :(. truck ran fine the last 2 days. Just got in it and cant get it to do anything now. Ignition going out. Starter going on?

JP422

Full Access Member
Reaction score
did you check fuel pressure?

If that's ok... perhaps bad injectors... or ignition?

smokumjames

Reaction score
Hello

had a similar problem on a work truck turned out to be the ground strap connecting the block to the frame on the passenger side.

JP422

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hmm.. that makes sense...

I htink I might add some grounding straps to under the hood. I used to do this to my track cars so the sensors will get a solid ground. Some people even say they gain a lil HP w/ better ground to the motor... who knows...

Anyway, some 8Ga wire, some connectors will do... pretty easy... and ground from the battery, to: Alternator, starter (if possible), intake manifold, the block, and other chassis points.