Rear Lights Do Not Work

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jeffwest5599

Reaction score
My son has a 1999 tahoe. The rear running lights do not work. No lights at the back except the top rear brake light. The brake lights and blinkers work (blink quick now) as well as backup lights. However, when you turn on the headlight switch, they no longer work. Additionally, the lights for the rear license plate only come on when when the rear brake lights come on. They go off when the brake is not applied. The rear brake lights work very dimly when the headlight switch is on but nothing else. Turn off the headlight switch and everything works with the eexpetion of the rear running lights. Very strange. Any ideas on what this is.

Jeff

jeffwest5599

Reaction score
Rear Lights Don't Work

Problem solved. A ground wire severed under the rear. Spliced the line and it is good to go now.

Jeff

beckya99

Reaction score
Jeff,

Mine is doing the EXACT same thing. Can you give me more specifics about the ground wire you spliced and where it's located?

Thanks!

blackdiamond

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Jeff,

Mine is doing the EXACT same thing. Can you give me more specifics about the ground wire you spliced and where it's located?

Thanks!

left rear on frame behind bumper. its a wire attached to the frame rail with a bolt. it could not be getting proper contact i.e.- loose, corroded, broken connection, ect remove bolt clean area till you see shiny metal put bolt and wire back in, tighten, if you dont have any anti corrosion spray, put vaseline all over it as a temp fix. or paint it to protect the area. If tis broken you will have to make a new ground.