P0449 question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

soilsample

Reaction score
Hello,
Thanks for this great forum!
I tried the search feature but didn't find what I need......

My 2003 Suburban has code P0449. I was told to replace the evap vent solenoid and the purge valve.
I was able to locate and change out the purge valve (under the plastic engine cover) without any trouble.
I cant find the evap vent solenoid! I have the new part sitting here. I saw a picture of a suburban that showed it located next to the spare tire. I also read that it should be on the front of the fuel tank....... I've looked for it there with no luck.
I can't see it anywhere under the vehicle!

Can somebody tell me where to find it? Maybe on top of the fuel tank?

Please help
Thanks
Donald

JennaBear

Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Could just be the traditional gas cap problem. Tighten it down and get the code cleared, or it will go away after some 10 min trips. If that doesnt work then it is a different issue.

soilsample

Reaction score
JennaBear,
Thanks for the suggestion.
I have cleared the code with my code reader a few times. The code comes back very quickly.
When I open the fuel cap, I don't hear any pressure escaping.

Thanks
Donald

JennaBear

Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Hmmm have you had your cap pressure tested? I am pretty sure any shop has the tool, maybe even AutoZone.

scorpio

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hey there a friend of mine has the same code on his 06 silverado, we cleared a few times and it comes on within minutes. Just wandering how u fixed it if u did, any input would be greatly appreciated

speedbird86

Reaction score
2000 5.3L Tahoe 4X4. Had the same problem. Made sure the gas cap was on tight, cleared the code. So far so good for a week now.

dz2a8r

Reaction score
if it comes back pretty quick its probly not a cap issue, if the veh has been in the mud or just up and down dusty dirt roads its probly the vent valve. usually found on the charcoal canister, or on top of the tank.....will look like a big black box with a couple hard plastic lines coming off of it, as far as hearing the pressure escaping the tank when you remove the cap you prbly wont if the vent valve is stuck open, which is what happens in most cases