oil changes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Richard Hoblitt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The manual says to change the oil when the percentage gets down to 20 % or so. I have been changing it every 3500 to 4000 miles or around 60%. I rather error on the safe side. How often do you guys change your oil. Do most of you use dino oil or sny.

fco_gonzo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I normally try to change it between 40-20%. I use mobil one 5-30 synthetic.

HofB99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The manual says to change the oil when the percentage gets down to 20 % or so. I have been changing it every 3500 to 4000 miles or around 60%. I rather error on the safe side. How often do you guys change your oil. Do most of you use dino oil or sny.

Wow! I'm already down to 59% w/ just over 2K miles on this oil change. How do you manage 3500 - 4000 miles to 60%?

Oh, and Mobil 1 synthetic all the way! :thumbsup:

fco_gonzo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow! I'm already down to 59% w/ just over 2K miles on this oil change. How do you manage 3500 - 4000 miles to 60%?

Oh, and Mobil 1 synthetic all the way! :thumbsup:

You must have a heavy right foot!

lugnut1

Reaction score
my 2 cents worth- I run my 03 down to about 15%- usually about 6500 miles, using shaeffer semi syn- oil samples come back great after 67,000 miles- oh yeah- I run 10-30 instead of 5-30.

Getwired

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yo lugnut, do you live in the southern US? Just wondering about the 10W as opposed to 5W...

bisignano

Reaction score
I haven't been a mechanic in over 20 years, however, if I remember correctly, using 10w instead of the recommended 5w, you could actually be doing damage to your engine reguardless of where you live. The first number is the viscosity rating of the oil when cold. This means that if you up to 10w you are making your engine starve, or work much harder to circulate oil at start up. The oil ports in the engine are made a certain size to enable temperature control and lubrication. The oil pump may not be able to move the appropriate oil through the engine when needed most, at start up. There are some vehicles, like Mercedes and BMW that are using 0w to help the engine get more oil at the initial crank instead of several hundred revolutions. Even in cold weather the 0w rating doesn't mean the oil will freeze. It means you are getting more oil to your engine much faster. You may want to reconsider the 10w vice 5w.

Richard Hoblitt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
:thumbsup: Most of my driving is hwy, thus the 60% for 3 to 4000 miles. I think i have enough miles on it now to switch to mobil 1. next oil change. Sounds like most of you use it and thats good enough for me.

fco_gonzo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I haven't been a mechanic in over 20 years, however, if I remember correctly, using 10w instead of the recommended 5w, you could actually be doing damage to your engine reguardless of where you live. The first number is the viscosity rating of the oil when cold. This means that if you up to 10w you are making your engine starve, or work much harder to circulate oil at start up. The oil ports in the engine are made a certain size to enable temperature control and lubrication. The oil pump may not be able to move the appropriate oil through the engine when needed most, at start up. There are some vehicles, like Mercedes and BMW that are using 0w to help the engine get more oil at the initial crank instead of several hundred revolutions. Even in cold weather the 0w rating doesn't mean the oil will freeze. It means you are getting more oil to your engine much faster. You may want to reconsider the 10w vice 5w.

:iagree:

lugnut1

Reaction score
Get Wired-
yeah- not southern cal, but central valley close to Sacramento- we rarily see temps down to freezing, so I am more concerned with high temps in the summer- thus the 10-30 vs 5-30. And, I am a firm believer in oil samples. I have run class 8 trucks most of my life, and with oil sampling, eventually went to 50,000 miles between changes, racking up well over a million miles between overhauls. Even at 50,000 miles, the Shaeffer oil was in better shape than conventional oils with only 15,000 miles. Could have gone even further, but, better safe than sorry.

rockrawler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Lugnut

You still end up with 30W oil no matter which one you choose even in hot temps. This makes no since to me, change back to 5W30.

HofB99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You must have a heavy right foot!
Sorry in advance for this rambling, but in my defense:

I actually really try not to push the Hoe too hard. I've "learned" how to lay off the pedal and let the ride coast when I can. (This is my first REAL full-size truck w/ V8--had a Pathfinder before this--not quite the same) I keep the DIC on the "Instant Economy" setting so I can see when I'm in V4 mode. Mind you, my daily commute isn't too far, but I sit in traffic for about 20 - 30 minutes--no real highway/interstate cruising for me. But that still shouldn't get me the numbers I'm seeing, huh? Well, I should be running Mobil 1, but you never know what the "stealership" does behind closed doors when they're servicing your vehicle. Last time I took it in to Chevy, I put my oil in the front seat and told them that I brought my own oil...but you never know what happens when they take your vehicle in the back. For example, they may take your oil out the vehicle, but unintentionally forget to use it and put in their inferior brand (that is, giving them the benefit of the doubt). Or they may save themselves a buck and shelf your stuff and put in their cheap stuff...I don't know...??? No one brings a chemistry set w/ them to the dealer to test what type of oil is really in their engine. Well, from now on, I think I'm going to take the Hoe to my local (NTB) shop to get my oil changed because they actually invite you to go into the garage and watch them work on your vehicle... I always purchase my tires there and ALWAYS receive good service. A while back, one of the mechanics there actually showed me how they mount & balance the tires using their computerized machine balance (it was kinda neat being I don't spend a lot of time under the hood, like most of you GM'ers--anyway, back to the subject) There's no way I should be @ 58% w/ just about 2300 miles on this oil change...especially including a 500-600 mile road trip up I-95 during the Thanksgiving holiday...:confused2:

73shark

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Since the oil life monitor looks at things such as temp, rpms, speed, etc, I suspect that you short mileage, long time commutes are what are using up your oil life.

Richard Hoblitt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
To HofB99, I am sure there are some dishonest dealers but i don't think there are many that would risk putting in cheap oil and then on the work order writing mobil 1. The gain would not be worth the risk. I worked in GM dealerships for 12 years and i never saw nor did i hear of anything underhanded like that. Now sales people are another matter.:cool2:

Hardin Thicke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I try to run mine down as close to 0% without going beyond, so if a weekend rolls around an there's 5% left, I'll change it out so as not to risk not hitting 0% when I can't change it. I also use Mobil 1, but the extended drain type. My best mileage has been 9200 miles with about 3% left on indicator.

Auburn

Reaction score
I usually change around 25%. It is usually around 8k miles.

When I first got my Tahoe, I worried about running around 7500 miles between oil changes (which is what I did with my TL and my G35 coupe) as it relates to the warranty. I was told that as long as I had oil life left, no need to change.

fco_gonzo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
...There's no way I should be @ 58% w/ just about 2300 miles on this oil change...especially including a 500-600 mile road trip up I-95 during the Thanksgiving holiday...:confused2:

I noticed I go about 10,000 miles between oil changes. But I only drive about 3-4 miles to work.

HofB99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Since the oil life monitor looks at things such as temp, rpms, speed, etc, I suspect that you short mileage, long time commutes are what are using up your oil life.

Yeah, and I just remembered that I do let the truck idle a lot for semi-long periods of time. I know that's a no-no. Also, I drive my son to the bus stop every morning (only 1/4 mile down the road) and sit there in the parking lot for another 5 - 10 minutes... I really gotta stop letting it idle for so long...it's just so comfortable sitting in the truck in this weather and reading the manual or texting the wife, etc...etc... :lol: Do you guys let your truck idle long? Oh yeah, forgot to mention letting it warm up in the A.M. via the remote start--another 5 minutes tacked on...:rolleyes: