need advice.... tahoe vs. civic

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

flyboy1304

Reaction score
hello all i'm new to the forums. and am in need of advice.... ive been looking into getting a tahoe or a larger SUV preferably with 3rd row seats. after looking around i found what i think is a Decent deal on a 95 Tahoe 4 door fully loaded 4x4 with a 4" lift and 2" body with 35's and like 39K miles on the NEW crate motor and tranny.flowmaster exhaust. the tahoe is very clean annd in GREAT shape but has a salvage title due to an accident, which messed up the grill, fender and hood. Everything has been repaired and fixed and you cant tell it was even in an accident. the only bad is the Gas mileage and the cruse control doesnt work. any idea how much it will be to fix that? what do you think its worth? also it doesnt have a 3rd row seat option i'm looking for Did the 95-99 tahoes even have that option avalable? I found a company that makes them and there $1000 with what ever trim you want to match your interior. Also i offered the guy my 2001 honda civic ex fully loaded, with 98K mi. with nice rims and in great shape. my car also has salvage title due to theft. (very common with civics and accords there #1 and #2 most stolen cars in the US). the tahoe probably wont be driven muchit will be the second vehicle (wifes) and shes a stay at home mom, only for trips to the lake or off roading/camping with the family. as i have a new truck (dodge dakota (15 city/ 20 hwy) that gets better gas(not by much). and i'm gonna be riding my bike to work I live on a military base and my work is less than 1 mile away. Do you think its a straight deal? he is asking 5k, and the high blue book on my car is like 8500. my car has a few dents and dings tho. lmk know what you guys think? thanks, Jensen

Paul Greathouse

Reaction score
I can't comment on the 3rd row seating but, I'm a big advocate of "If its what you want and you can afford it, get it".

With that said, sounds like you will both be getting a good deal. Ask for reciepts for the motor and Transmission just to make sure he's honest. Also check to make sure the transmission is tight. If it doesn't catch drive and reverse as soon as you put it in gear you might want to have it checked out by a mechanic before buying. The reverse gear on my 95' Tahoe hessitates before catching, which is the first sign of future problems.

If he should want to resell your Civic he won't have any trouble. Considering the year models, mileage on Tahoe engine and trans, mileage on the Civic, it sounds like a pretty even swap, as long as the MPG thing isn't a problem for you.

Before I recently bought my 95' Tahoe I was also looking at a new Civic Si. In case your not familiar, its the hotrod Civic, 200 hp 6 speed stick shift. That thing was really fun to drive but I have been wanting a 2DR 4WD Tahoe or Yukon for years now. I found the right truck and I'll just have to forget about the MPG difference even though I drive 44 miles round trip to work. I bought what I really wanted instead of what was more practical. Oh, and the Tahoe was way cheaper $7500 verses $21,000.

flyboy1304

Reaction score
i'm familiar with civics. and si models. dont get me wrong i like my civic just i wish it was a 98-2000 model, the motor on the 01-05 is the d17 series and they dont take well to tuning, if you want turbo its custom, and cost around 5 grand or so. At the begining of the year I'll be able to purchase another civic, one i can tune. I'm pretty sure i will go with the tahoe. I've always wanted one and its already lifted and has what i'm looking for. thanks for the info. is there anything else i need to look for when i go check it out? like areas of rust, Is there particular places or parts that i should check out? Thanks

supaman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
just regear to fix that gas mileage problem...may be costly up front,1500 or so, but in the long run will pay for itself

Paul Greathouse

Reaction score
I've only had the Tahoe a few weeks but I have been driving a 95' GMC 3/4 ton 2WD pickup with 5 speed stick shift for the past 12 years. It has the same 5.7 TBI engine as the Tahoe. I have just over 200,000 miles on it and it still runs OK.

Other than the big ticket items (engine & transmission), they are really cheap to maintain. There is no rust on the GMC or the Tahoe. The GMC has lived a fairly rough life and the Tahoe appears to have been pampered by the previous owners.

I encountered all the usual small maintenance items with the GMC. Oxygen sensers, idle speed adjuster, thermostat, magnetic pickup on the distributor, brakes, ignition switch, air conditioner. Oddly enough the ignition switch and the air conditioner went out in about the third year at less than 50,000 miles. The AC is giving me trouble again but I think its just a leak this time and not the compressor. Luckily, I know a really good mechanic. He has so much business that lots of times he'll diagnose the problem and tell me what to change, so that I can save a few dollars.

The Tahoe just turned 104,000 miles. When I got it I changed the plugs, distributor cap & rotor, plug wires and oil & filter. I also changed the EGR valve, it was throwing a code which was bringing in the check engine lit. It runs and drives like a new vehicle, but it is bone stock, no lift, oversized tires or any other modifications.

The Tahoe actually drives smoother than my wifes 03' 2WD Yukon. I can feel every bump in the road through the steering wheel in the Yukon but the 95' Tahoe feel solid and smooth.

Another small issue, I have the barn doors on the Tahoe. I noticed that the weaterstripping is leaking a little where the barn doors come togeather at the top. It gets a small wet spot on the carpet when I wash it or drive it in the rain. That will be the next thing I'll change.

As long as you maintain them they are very dependable. They are just not that great on fuel economy. I started an "Old TBI verses Vortec" thread that might be interesting if it gets some responses.