How much oil?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Greystone07

Reaction score
I have a stupid question How much oil does the 5.3 take i cant find it anywhere in the book or under the hood...:confused:

Black Dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It takes 6 quarts (approximately), including putting on a dry filter. Don't forget to run it at idle for a bit and then check it after it's been turned off for a while. In my 2008 book it's on page 5-126, or look in the index under "Capacities and Specifications". It's only a stupid question if you ask it AFTER you blow the motor!

JD Larue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It takes 6 quarts (approximately), including putting on a dry filter. Don't forget to run it at idle for a bit and then check it after it's been turned off for a while. In my 2008 book it's on page 5-126, or look in the index under "Capacities and Specifications". It's only a stupid question if you ask it AFTER you blow the motor!

Approximately is right. I put 6 qts. in mine and the dipstick says it's a 1/2 qt. overfilled.

JD Larue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Greystone, try 5 1/2 qts. first then check the level on the dipstick after warming up the engine and letting it drain back down into the pan. If it needs more you can always add some. Unlike me who now has to drain out a 1/2qt.

smoothfrc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you could leave the 1/2 quart, not going to hurt anything.

They actually tell you to overfill the oil in the vette if you plan on roadcoursing the car, so i dont believe you will have any issues.

Black Dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you could leave the 1/2 quart, not going to hurt anything.

They actually tell you to overfill the oil in the vette if you plan on roadcoursing the car, so i dont believe you will have any issues.

I agree, probably not enough to submerge the crank. I guess they recommend this so the turning force doesn't force the oil to one end, starving the oil pump pickup? Does the Vette motor have a windage tray, scraper, baffle or any of that stuff?

Black Dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Actually the extra 1/2 quart would mean the oil would stay good about 8.5% longer, right? Or be 8.5% cleaner at the regular change interval...

JD Larue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Actually the extra 1/2 quart would mean the oil would stay good about 8.5% longer, right? Or be 8.5% cleaner at the regular change interval...

Ha, good one. I was thinking more along the lines of how they tell you not to overfill the crankcase cause you'll blow out the seals.

S.V.T.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
do what the factory recommends. if you have an issue hopefully you still have factory warranty. if not hopefully you got a good third party warranty as the 5.3's aren't cheap.. although if you blow that up it might be worth coming out of pocket for the 6.2 if it'll mate with the 4spds we have.. god i want that 6.2 and the 6spd :)

Black Dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah the 6.2 should fit the 4 speed, but you'd probably want to up the tranny to a stronger one, or the 6 speed, which is rated for more torque/h.p. I think the 6.2L is simply a bored and stroked 5.3???

Black Dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ha, good one. I was thinking more along the lines of how they tell you not to overfill the crankcase cause you'll blow out the seals.

Heh, I try, don't I? And forgot about that reason, which I can't see 1/2 a quart doing...