Gas gage going crazy

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Travisbsmith

Reaction score
Gas gauge going crazy

I recently put intake gaskets on my 1996 tahoe. I had a new alternator laying around so I changed it. My gage would move a little when I would come to a stop, it would drop down some, not much, and when I accelerate it would go up a little. Since the intake gasket, and alternator change it is going crazy. When I come to a stop it goes to up past full most of the time, and it will have about a quarter of a tank of gas in it. Does anyone know if the alternator could be making the gauge spaz out. Thanks in advance for all input

Last edited:

junkie4mud

Reaction score
good luck fixing that i have the same thing going on. It goes lower then "E" then back up the 1/2 tank when i drive her.

junkie4mud

Zipper369

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know my gas gauge acts a little strange. It has the "hummingbird shake" but it still reads somewhat accurately, I think. I can get in and start it up, and reads, lets just say a 1/4 tank. By the time I get out on the road, it's gone up to almost a 1/2. Is it just me, or do they all read a little lower before you start driving?

Travisbsmith

Reaction score
It was fine until I put new intake gaskets on it,and had a newer alternator laying around,so I put it on the truck. I am getting it back from the transmission shop today, so I'm gonna put the old alternator back on it, and see what happens

justimagination

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Time for a new sending unit as B4 mentioned. AC Delco is the only way to go, and don't forget the in-line filter as well.JMHO, Good luck
david g.