Finding Out Exhaust?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Loomis

Reaction score
Im in the market for a little grunt to my exhaust, but DONT want duals, or anything close to that loudness. Yesterday I heard the most nicest sounding Tahoe I've heard yet. It had duals, but the tips were very skinny, and long horizontal wise. I think that looked way more classy then the big round ones. It was coming out 90degrees too. It wasn't LOUD.. but it had a REALLY nice classy tone to it. Got no idea how to figure out what kind it was.. im assuming some expensive ass Magnaflow or Borla. The tips wouldn't make it sound that different being so small in hight would it? I want it pure class. No hint of offroad type sound or look at all. Any good videos around I could help narrow what I'm looking for? Thanks guy-

fyremanpat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Its probaly Borla, they have a solid inner core, they last forever, and tend to absorb sound resonance more. And tips DO make a difference. Your best bet is go to Youtube and type in Exhaust Sound. I have a Flowmaster 40 series 2 in 2 out, and it can get loud when you put your foot in it. Flowmaster also offers much quiter exhaust with performance in mind. Hope this helps

tim@sp

Reaction score
Magnaflow has some nice kits that of course retain the stock cats. I have always loved the tone of their kits. I have one on my 454 dually. Very nice!!!

They are pricey on the retail side... but worth it IMO

General Stalin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah you don't want a Flowmaster. Flowmaster exhausts are all about more flow and generally they all just emphasize and magnify the sound of your engines exhaust. Also, like fyremanpat said, the tips to indeed make a difference in the sound of the exhaust.

GMCYukalade

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What i did was, i had my exhuast shop build me a custom Y pipe (because it is hard to find a good dual in single out muffler for cheap) i brought the factory exhuast in, which is Dual, and ran it back out the factory pipe single.. - you can use a sporty-more racey type muffler to make the sound quiter/hummier and then use a longer tip to make it more echo-ie

Loomis

Reaction score
I'm confused on this last reply? Y-pipe? Wouldnt it be the same as stock then besides the new muffler.. maybe I need just a Magnaflow Muffler, and I already got a tip.

992door

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Loomis said:
I'm confused on this last reply? Y-pipe? Wouldnt it be the same as stock then besides the new muffler.. maybe I need just a Magnaflow Muffler, and I already got a tip.
What he is saying is that the exhaust on a tahoe has 2 pipes running into the muffler so he took it to a muffler shop and put a Y-pipe in so that he would only have 1 pipe going into the muffler instead of 2. Making it easier to find a good muffler for cheap .

Loomis

Reaction score
OH... I had no idea good two in and 1 outs were that hard to find. That's what I'm gonna have to do eh?

992door

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You dont have to I would find what you want then if the dual in single out is alot more money or it does not come in that i would put a y-pipe in but if not i would just get the muffler

Loomis

Reaction score
oh wow

Well, biggest thing is keeping in mind the sound. I just wanna hear some tahoes with the set ups were talking about, then I can go from there. Youtube isn't the best.

clean95

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, biggest thing is keeping in mind the sound. I just wanna hear some tahoes with the set ups were talking about, then I can go from there. Youtube isn't the best.

do you know of any muffler shops in ur town? (not a mitus or mechanic shop but a actual muffler only type place) they tend to custom bend all the tubing to fit your truck and they are the cheapest, id find one, then go there and talk to they guy and tell him what u want and he will fabricate ur truck to the sound u want, thats what i did and i paid him cash and i was on my way, i think i paid 320 for a high flow magna flow cat and a flowmaster muffler and a exsaust tip 3" tubing headers back single exsaust, and it only took about 20 min for the guy to make the pipe and weld everything in, idk something to think about... good luck

Loomis

Reaction score
Yeah thats way outta my price range. I think I'll start with my magnaflow tip getting welded on lol.