04 Tahoe cluster is dead

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hunter

Reaction score
Okay folks. I've been reading on other forums about issues with the cluster.

All of my gauges aren't working. Even the DIC. I replaced the 10 amp fuse in the engine compartment and that brought everything back to life... until today that is.

Replaced the fuse again and... nothing. By the way, both fuses I replaced read fine on the ohm meter.

What's my next step? I hate taking vehicles to the dealers. Almost need a second morgage. :-(

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Hunter

Hunter

Reaction score
Cluster update: was showing a friend the vehicle issue when all of a sudden the cluster including the dic sprank back to life. Later today it died again but an hour later it was back again.

Now I'm thinking a loose connection, soder joint on the cluster somewhere. It's worked the remainder of today... but there's always tomorrow.

Hunter

cj85

Reaction score
Hey Hunter, I've been having this same problem and like you I really don't want to take it to the dealer. Please let me know if you find anything out. Thanks

Hunter

Reaction score
cj85,
What I now believe the problem to be is a loose connection on the cluster itself either via plug or most likely a solder joint.

I'll pull the cluster out and go over all of the above.

This sure has been the most inconvenient inconvenience.

Hunter

Cubano03Tahoe

Reaction score
I just saw a couple videos on YouTube of ppl fixing this problem . Apparently around the plug in for the cluster it developed halo cracks in the soldering around the pins in the circuit board . They just used a solder sucker gun and removed the solder and re soldered it all and the guages came BAck to live . Just go to YouTube and hit the search term gm cluster repair . Hope this helps ya.

Hunter

Reaction score
C03T,
Thanks for the info. I will check it out!

Hunter

WarrenH

Reaction score
The coldest part of this winter is when mine started to act up. After it warmed up a bit it would come on then back off. After awhile I could tap on it ten it would come on. It seemed when It cooled off outside it would stop working again. Finally it stopped working. So Ive been winging it with gas and my speed with no meters go by for about a month.

I ordered a stepper motor kit. Gets it yesterday me and a friend put the new motors in NO CIGARS still not working. When I barely plug the harness in the needles go haywire. Plugged all the way in they do nothing. I might get a blink like its trying to come on but thats about it. Engine light on. So If anybody has any idea whats going on It would be greatly appreciated. Trying real had not to go to no high priced mechanic. Might have to bite the bullet though.

Hunter

Reaction score
WarrenH, too bad about wasting (maybe anyway) $ on the kit.

I just haven't had time to tear into it yet. It works 50% of the time. It's gotta be the connection (plug) or a bad solder connection. I'm bound and determined to find it once I'm able to get on it.

Good luck with yours.

Hunter