'02 Hoe runs like doo-doo on first start

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Virginia Donkey

Reaction score
I have a 2002 Tahoe with the 5.3 engine. Only on the first start the truck will start, then the idle will drop and become erratic. when it does, the engine runs rough...almost to the point of cutting off.

After about 3 minutes, the idle is fine, and the truck runs perfectly the rest of the day.

No SES light

I cleaned the MAF

anyone had this problem before?

Nickleahy23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
does it fail to start once and a while? sometimes mine wont start on the first try..it will just crank..then when it does start, it will kinda rev, then rev down, then steady and after that its fine..its either the fuel pressure regulator or its the fuel pump going bad..

Virginia Donkey

Reaction score
ugh...hope not. Supposedly, the fuel pump was changed a year ago just before I bought it.

If the pump was going bad, why would it only do this at first start of the day?

chevytech03

Reaction score
Probly a fuel press regulator, pull hose off at reg and turn key on, see if fuel comes out of regulator. I have replaced many of these for this same complaint.

ac1975

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just recently noticed this on my truck yst, & again today. This morning, I had just started it, and was pulling onto the street and it hesitated, I let off the gas, and accelerated lightly and it was better. The rest of the drive to work was fine.

Virginia Donkey

Reaction score
Checked the fuel pressure regulator...no leaking noticed.

I am going to swing by autozone to make sure there arent any codes hiding.

This didn't start until I replaced the water pump. I have double checked all the electrical connections and can't find any I might have disturbed. I didn't have to unplug anything to get to the pump.

Yuke2K

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Probably a shot in the dark, but have you seafoamed your rig lately? Or ever? It's never a bad idea to get excess gunk out of your engine, and who knows...it might help your rough idling problems.

ac1975

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm actually going to do it tomorrow. Went to Walmart today and they didn't have it. Otherwise, I would've done it tonight.