What Battery Do You Have In The Tahoe??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Biggwaukegan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Guys help me out, :mad:again....Getting ready to finish the big 3 and put in a new battery and alternator...well get to the alternator another time.
My question is what battery are you running and hows it work? I got some ****ty reviews of the optima. Considering I only run the beast on the weekands, i dont want to have to invest into a trickle cell charger from not driving it daily. What about Die Hards? I heard that johnson controls, the company that makes die hards, also makes duralast batteries? what about a duralast gold? help me out thanks.

96ProCompTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i've got a optima in the camaro and it just sits most of the time, gets driven once a week or so. no problems with the batt. fires right up every time.

when i have the cash i plan on putting another one in the tahoe. if not, a good interstate battery will do. (stores right down the streen from work)

treepete

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I went to optima red in 2001.
same battery this whole time. daily driver.. no troubles.

How about Kinetic? I heard they make some oversized batteries, but that about all I know. I think they are mostly car audio.

what kind of poo-poo did you hear about optima? I thought they were sposta be the shiznit.

Whippled2dr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm on my second optma yellow top in 6 years. I had a bad short that killed the first one. It also sat for 5 months. Bought it from Costco so they took it back and got a new one.

41racing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a optima red top in my dirt track race car. It's been in there for 3 seasons and I've had no problems. I don't run an alternator either, just charge it between races.

Interstate are good batteries, and so are Deka. Both are made in the USA and are top of the line. My experience with die hard, duralast, neverstart ops I mean everstart has been bad. They don't seem to last very long. You might also want to look into an AGM from deka. I put one in my bobcat last winter and it has been great. My bobcat sometimes sits for 2 weeks or more, and it has still started when it been -10 and colder out side.

Biggwaukegan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
now now....dont knock the duralast unless you no this... johnson controls makes optima and diehard, they also make duralast batteries....think about that when you get a little down time. .....bingo

not to mention I got 800cca with a 8 year warranty. first 3 years are completly free if anything funny goes down. Like i said i dont drive it, only on weekands, so i dont want to have to invest in a trickle cell charger, and better yet not sure id get my 180 out of the battery. got better things to invest in like cai, headers, regearing, and all kind of good ****.

Biggwaukegan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the only bad thing I heard from a buddy that works for johnson controls is that the optimas are set up for more of a daily driver kind of thing. not to mention they dont seem to really earn that bigg tagg they have. just my 2 cents fellas

Jdouc

Reaction score
Diehard SUV battery here. When gas was at 4 bucks I didn't use my tahoe hardly at all. Each time I did it started right up, no prolems.

John Redcorn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bought my 99 z71 used for $4000 at a dealer it had a bad batt, they kept saying they'd have it charged for me or put a used working battery in when I came to pick it up.

A friend of mine is a tech at the dealer and somehow talked them into giving me a brand new big green interstate battery before I got there to take it home. I was happy, I've never had one of those before and I think they're close to $150!

foreverfalcon40

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a OPTIMA Yellowtop. I have had no problems with it. I almost ditched due to the fact a person on another forum that I am a part of, had serious issues with her yellow top. The battery ended up melting on its own and caught on fire as well as the car (Mustang GT) Optime was not compliant with HER even though the firemarshall and picture evidence was abundant that the battery DID start the fire. I'd be hesitant, about an OPTIMA. Even thought I use it, I am a little worried. I have not searched for any similar cases. But you can.

Heres the link

http://www.newcougar.org/forums/garage-talk/108325-trevor-right-updated-w-engine-battery-pics.html

here is her rebuild

http://www.newcougar.org/forums/gar...g-rebuild-rebuild-completed-12-07-2008-a.html

Mike97

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Personally, I don't see the benefit in spending the kind of money for an Optima in an SUV, unless you plan to roll it or something:D. I just replaced an Interstate battery that only lasted for 3 years with a Napa Select. Only reason I went with that battery is because they were the only store within walking distance that was open, :smilielol:. Otherwise I would have just gone to Wal-Mart and picked up an Everstart.