Weird Noise

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jayhawk25

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When i was driving to work this morning there was a weird noise coming from the front part of the truck. the best way to describe the noise is if you were to stick something in a fan that had metal blades as it gives that repitive sound of the fan blade hitting whatever it is stuck in there. it sounds like it is metal on metal. It happens while the car is in motion either forward or backward, doesnt do it at idle and for the most part stays pretty much the same loudness even when accelerating. i looked under the car and nothing is dragging and didnt see anything unusual in the engine compartment or around the wheels. I get off late tonight so it will be to dark to look tonight but i am going to crawl underneath tomorrow and see if i can tell something. Any thoughts on what this could be? Thanks

jayhawk25

Full Access Member
Reaction score
cant get it into the dealership until monday but i was wondering if it could be a cracked cv boot rubbing against the wheel?

jayhawk25

Full Access Member
Reaction score
got it back from the dealership yesterday and the noise was due to a bad rear U joint and driveshaft. it was causing a clicking each time the car was in motion. just wanted to post the diagnosis in case anyone else ends up in the same boat.

Getwired

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow dude -- that sucks. I hope it was covered under warranty... I had a front differential crap out on me in my 2004 Denali (under warranty). Stuff like that can be a little scary -- glad it's diagnosed and hopefully fixed soon!

jayhawk25

Full Access Member
Reaction score
when i bought the vehicle i also purchased a service contract which actually covered the diff but the part was coroded (sp?) and the service contract doesnt cover parts due to corosion so i paid out of pocket. BS if you ask me but what are you gonna do.

jayhawk25

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i believe it was between $200-300 I had the transfer case serviced and a few other things done so I cant remember what the exact amount came to for just that fix and i am at work now so i cant check but if that figure is way off i will post a correction but im pretty sure that is close.