very odd sound...HELP

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ronjeremy6

Reaction score
when i accellerate from a dead stop, my 01 sounds like water is running through my dash! that's the best way i can describe it. happens when it's wet or dry outside, and i have no wet spots on the interior. hell, i'm not even sure it's water.

help please. the sound is driving me crazy!

ronjeremy6

Reaction score
i thought about that also, but why is it so loud all of a sudden?

Rollin Thunder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
it sounds like your bathtub sprung a leak. these trucks have bathrooms hidden under the dash ya know, when you enter the bathroom, you put the vehicle in auto drive, and you can shower and shave while it drives you to work. in 2009 were suppsoed to get a bedroom as well. :lol:

no lets get serious now, has it been rainy in your area latly? if your coolent is low, its gunna slosh around alot. on its way to cool the engine. that may be why its just starting.

do you have a sun roof?

the draining pipe may be leaking and there IS water in your dash sloshing around. :thumbsup:

WrenchGuy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was steering towards low coolant not filling lines fully. I figured that wouldn't be it at first. So I guess my 2 cents is the fluid has room to play so check the fluid level.

ronjeremy6

Reaction score
no sunroof, and i can see the condensation draining out the right side of the truck when i run ac.

i'll check my coolant levels when i get back home. the sound is less noticeable when the truck is at operating temp, so this may be the culprit.

22cntrfield

Reaction score
That happened to my '01 z71 a couple months ago when it had like 120,000 on. I just did a full radiator flush and the problem went away. It could have been a blockage or something to that effect, I have no clue. But the flush did make it go away.

jayhawk25

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the same problem in my 01 LT. It doesnt happen everytime but it occurs when coming from a dead stop like you said and also comes from the dash. I just noticed it about 3 weeks ago. I am going to be taking the hoe to the shop sometime next week to get my power window fixed and will have them look into this while they have it. I will post what they have to say about this later. I was kinda thinking it had something w/the coolant as well. Anybody else with any input??

jayhawk25

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, the dealer said the sound is caused by low coolant level. The noise is a combination of air and water rushing through the heater core. My coolant was low because my water pump was leaking but it was covered by my warranty so it should be out of the shop and as good as new today. Just thought i would post what the diagnosis was for the future.

Slammed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey dude your ac drip hose is clogged crawl under the truck and on passenger side you will see a little rubber hose with little lip open it and stick a pipe cleaner in it it will all drain out

ronjeremy6

Reaction score
Ok, the dealer said the sound is caused by low coolant level. The noise is a combination of air and water rushing through the heater core. My coolant was low because my water pump was leaking but it was covered by my warranty so it should be out of the shop and as good as new today. Just thought i would post what the diagnosis was for the future.

sorry for the late update, but it was in fact low coolant. i started the truck and topped up the coolant res. the sound didn't immediately go away but the next morning it was gone!

i heart this forum :appl:

Slammed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No offense but theres just noway you could hear that also the heater is like a mini radiator its not hollow glad your problems fixed but I still dont think it was that dealer problably drained the ac hose and then added coolant just to justify a charge LOL

sorry for the late update, but it was in fact low coolant. i started the truck and topped up the coolant res. the sound didn't immediately go away but the next morning it was gone!

i heart this forum :appl:

road1will

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No offense but theres just noway you could hear that also the heater is like a mini radiator its not hollow glad your problems fixed but I still dont think it was that dealer problably drained the ac hose and then added coolant just to justify a charge LOL

+1, you wouldn't be able to hear that. plus, the system is under pressure, so not too much "sloshing"

ronjeremy6

Reaction score
was not a sloshing sound. sounded more like gurgling, and as i stated in the op, the sound only occurred during accelleration.

in conclusion, my coolant was low. filled while the motor was running and now the sound has disappeared.