Tahoe no start

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

pair8hd

Reaction score
'96 Tahoe, just cranks over and over but will not fire up. Was running fine, then it was parked for 2 hours and now it won't start.
Battery is new, the terminals are fine, even the terminal going to the black fuse box under the hood is fine.
I can smell/see gas in the TB after cranking it over a few times so I think the fuel delivery is fine.
Put an inline spark tester in and the plugs are getting sparks.
Finally got it to start but it runs really rough and will not idle correctly. Now the check engine light is on. Anyone know how to pull codes or what could be wrong?
Any suggestions for troubleshooting and testing?

TIA.

96ProCompTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
check your cap and rotor. had the same problem a while back, the cap isn't sealed like it should be and lets moisture in = frustration, and no starting...

Rick90467

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Check all of the vacuum lines as well, usually a truck will start but be unable to idle successfully without feathering the throttle.

blk87brd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
To answer your question regarding codes, most auto supply stores sell OBD II code readers. They plug into the data port (on yours, I think it is beside your left knee on the bottom of the dash) and link to the ECU to download diagnositic codes. They come with a book of diagnositic codes making it easy to determine what turned on the Check Engine Light. I paid a couple hundred for it several years ago, but I think they are cheaper now. Most shops charge $50 - $75 to run the scan so it pays for itself quickly.
Regards
Tom G.

96ProCompTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if you have a local advance auto parts or autozone near by they check it for free.

Biggwaukegan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
autozone will scan any check engine code free...but i think you have a dist. cap problem. change the cap n rotor and why you are at it change the plugs wires, air filter too. can just about gurantee this will fix her up. if not you got a bad fuel pump or fuel filter....

uxb101

Reaction score
you need about 40 to 60 fuel psi to start that truck,could be fuel pump regulator or fuel pump,just because you smell gas or see gas makes no difference

Anvilair

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had a very similar problem and after chasing the usual suspects (cap, rotor, fuel pump, fuel filter, wires, plugs) I discovered it was the throttle body gasket. It was letting in to much air. $15 and a few curse words later and she runs like a top!

atxballer

Reaction score
I had something like this happen to me and it was the fuel pump. Make sure when you turn the key to the run position you have someone place their ear next to the gas cap. If you hear a noise (fuel pump turning on) than your fuel pump should be working. If you don't hear a noise try kicking the bottom of your gas tank lightly. Sometimes that can get the fuel pump going. How many miles do you have on your Tahoe? If you have over 100k than there is a very good chance that's what it is. Good Luck!

96Tahoe007

Reaction score
similar starting problem-Help!!

Hello all--Having same type of starting problem with my '96 Tahoe 2-door 4x4 5.7L-175k on body-approx 40k motor-and 50k on transmission--mine will not start at all--turns over-getting spark-getting fuel to the rail-tried starting with ethier-no go??? replaced gas tank(rear corner seam was rotted), fuel pump, sending unit, both high pressure fuel lines up to fuel filter, fuel filter, filler tube, return hose next to filler tube, breather lines from tank-had starter re-built, new cellanoid, new battery cables, new battery--I will check out/replace if needed, dist cap, rotor, plugs wires--a friend of mine suspects that it might have jumped time? all I did was move it into my barn-replaced what I have just told you and now it won't start?? any other advice would help--this is my first post--i've been checking the site out for a few months--AWESOME site-love it--Thank you:confused2: