Should i trade my truck for?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SS5800

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My truck specs are:
1996 Tahoe 4wd with 170,000 on chassis. Rebuilt Motor with 90,000
Power windows, Power locks, Manual seats. Heat/AC. No mods on my truck. Just basically stock. Cloth interior

My truck.
314w101.jpg

His truck, His reason for trading is his gf wants a two door, Not 4

His truck:

1997 Tahoe-108,000 miles 4WD
Caddy Conversion, Leather, Power seats, Locks, Power windows, Heat/AC Audio System,

shaved: taillights, door handles, roll pan, roof rack, escalade clip, painted house of color candy tangerine recently rebuilt trans
b7hqbr.jpg

Please help guys, I mean if the truck runs well its a good trade in my opinion. But i need to know what you guys look for in a truck when its run
ning, Like things to watch out for. Thanks guys.

992door

Full Access Member
Reaction score
NO I think that his is ugly but that is just my opinion. And I have always like the 2 dr.

treepete

Full Access Member
Reaction score
what else do you know about his truck/ the seller... anything? I love the idea, but somethings fishy.
hey isnt that sas's truck and that one green diesel he was going to trade it for?

Rollin Thunder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
what else do you know about his truck/ the seller... anything? I love the idea, but somethings fishy.
hey isnt that sas's truck and that one green diesel he was going to trade it for?

I agree. Why would he just do an even trade for your vehicle that is stock. TO his custom one with about 64k less miles and more options.

SS5800

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I also had that thought in my mind, Im curious as to see whats wrong with it, Currently he says its missing a rear barn door panel, A small side floor panel on drivers side, Its poppers need to be re wired, he says he will do it before he trades, and there has been old gas in it, He says he started it up weekly and drove it up his road and it ran strong. Also, He wont be including the Rims pictured, He will be i indluding the stock rims.

It seems to me like im almost better off with my truck, that i know runs mint. What do you guys think?

sasquatch094

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hmm well with all that being said from the last post till now, idk man.. its kinda weird situation..

treepete

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hmmm. I mean,I love the color and huge wheels and rollpan and stuff... but what the?
it sounds like a poor install so far with the poppers failing and missing interior trim work... I can see 2 dents in that photo I think.
old gas means its been sitting. why would you let a ride like that sit for so long.. It may "run strong" on 'his street' but that might be a 25mph stretch that goes 50 feet or something. see if you can get him to quantify that a bit more if possible.
We could help you more if you had more pictures of it, especially the engine compartment and underside. ( and interior if available)

If Im being completely honest, someone else's "custom" could be the next guys 'nightmare.'

I know youll be using this as your daily driver, and the 94 from the rust belt will be just that... rusty.. how long does it have before that 2000$ paint bubbles up from underneath? new tranny? was he beating on it? or did it just die from mileage on the drivetrain and/ or fatty wheels?
and his reasons.. "my girlfriend wants a 2 door," really means "my girlfriend wants me to sell the customized-by-a-guy-off-the-street truck i never ever use for something that actually works and doesnt ride like sh*t with those big-ass wheels. IT LOCKED ME IN THE TRUCK AT THE GROCERY STORE, YOU A$$, NOW SELL IT OR SOMETHING!@@!@"

I mean, I just made up that end part... and I dont know you or your friend. My official call here is "pass" unless you can get in there with your mechanic and realllly look it over well.

Pete

Mike97

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Keep your sweet looking two-door. No four-door is worth trading for it. And everyone knows that green two-doors are the best, lol. But there is a small chance that I may be a bit biased.:thumbsup:

Rollin Thunder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I see a big dent in the driver front fender. Most likely an anger dent. Thats when you get angry and hit your truck. I did that to my 99 alot. LOL. But if you think about it your truck has a better engine with less miles. Plus he is keeping the rims, Thats another 2k needed to make it look that nice again. Keep yours. IMO. You know how it was treated and know how it runs. If you do go drive it, even if he goes with you. From a stop, floor it, see if the tranny shifts or if it feels like the engine is hurting. Take it all the way to highway speed (70MPH i guess) make sure the tranny does not bang or clank, or what ever. :thumbsup:

SS5800

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am keeping my two door :) it runs mint. And i just got a new sub and amp for it :) cant wait to wire it up.

mary900

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's an old saying that basically means that it is often better to deal with someone or something you know, even if not ideal, than take a risk with an unknown person or thing.

In your case, the devil you know is your vehicle. The devil you don't know is the other vehicle. :)

SS5800

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I see thank you:) One more question guys. I have been looking at options for making my truck have a deeper tone to it. My cheapest option seems to be glasspacks. But someone told me they might be illegal in my state of Massachusetts? I honeslty have no idea how to put on glasspacks, Does anyone have a vid or tutorial of how to install one?

SS5800

Full Access Member
Reaction score
He just posted it online on craigslist. He says :/ But otherwise i had a picture of a lawnmower i was selling on craigslist and my truck was in the picture and he emailed me asking about it.