Reverse light options

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

woldd90

Reaction score
I have done a few searches and have not come up with any options...

I have a very hard time seeing anything when backing up in the dark...

What options are available for better reverse lighting for a 2004 Yukon XL? I have the factory tinted windows and stock tail lights. I have consideded wiring in a set of fog lights into the reverse light, mounting them to the rear bumper or the trailer hitch bracket.

Thanks,

JKmotorsports

tahoeyukonforum.com
Reaction score
There really aren't too many options out there besides adding a set of aux lights or try locating a slightly higher output bulb from sources such as Sylvania and PIAA. Just for kicks I tried a set of 55 watt bulbs I had laying around a while back. Didn't make a really huge difference. Plus the reverse lights can not be on long at all becuase of the higher wattage and current draw. I have a set of really thin low profile fog lights that I'm going to install underneath the truck later on for reversing.

woldd90

Reaction score
That is what I thought. I have seen a ford truck where someone mounted two circular fog lights in the chrome part of the bumper, it looked good and did not detract from the look of the truck, I may consider something like this if I can find someone with a plasma cutter.

If anyone has done this or something like this, if you could post a few pictures, I would appreciate it.

Design

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I hope so because I was thinking of doing the same thing. I know that some aftermarket bumpers (like Ranch hand) mount additional lights in the bumper for reverse. I really need the additional lights.

Has anyone here cut into the chrome, or drilled into or through them to mount additional lights?

c19dale

Reaction score
her ya go.... I used a metal hole saw to cut the bumper. I will take better pics tommorrow in the light if you want. These work great and don't look to bad in my opinion. I had some slim line lights mounted below the bumper but they kept getting smacked off when I went through mild mud holes on the dirt road. The lights that mount in the hitch mentioned above have an option to allow you to use the hitch also but in my case, they would still get knocked off in a hole.

Attachments

• DSC01902.JPG
    DSC01902.JPG
    89.1 KB · Views: 10
  • DSC01903.JPG
    DSC01903.JPG
    78.6 KB · Views: 8
  • DSC01908.JPG
    DSC01908.JPG
    130.1 KB · Views: 7

woldd90

Reaction score
Thanks Will... I may want to try that.

C19Dale: That's what I was thinking about... If you could post pictures in the day light that would be very helpful. How did you wire them? On a switch or tied into the reverse lights?

c19dale

Reaction score
I will post more pics tommorrow and try to get some from the back side so you can see how I mounted them. I have them wired to a switch cause you probably don't want them blinding someone behind you just backing up somewhere where there is traffic. These things are awsome for backing up in the woods after dark. I also mounted the same pair of lights on my ATV trailer and those are hooked to the reverse lights though the 7 prong plug. I did it that way so when my buddy tows it, the lights work without him having a switch.

I took the bumper off to mount these and that made it alot easier. The HARDEST part was finding a smaller true round light. Most were too big, oval, square, etc....

stunna94

Reaction score
I have a set of LED reverse lights that are super bright.. they will light up the night behind you

Design

Full Access Member
Reaction score
c19dale, That is exactly what I was looking for! You said that you just used a metal hole saw? :thumbsup:

I would also like to know what lights you used because you are right about finding true round ones. Furthermore, did your lights come with the grommet or did you find that somewhere else?

c19dale

Reaction score
You can buy a metal hole saw from home depot or lowes. Find out the size of the lights you are buying, double check the diameter at the widest point that will be sticking through the bumper and try to get that size hole saw or 1/8'' bigger at the MOST. If you get the exact size, the hole can be sanded to the tight fit you want. You are going to have to sand it pretty good ayway to clean up the burrs. The hole saw goes in your drill, it will be whatever diameter you want, and have a drillbit that sticks out the center that acts as you guide while cutting the hole.(you must have one with a drill bit guide in it.) Measure from many different points to assure it is in the right place and drill a small hole where the center of the light will go, then take the hole saw and drill out your hold. The small hole you just drilled will make way for the drill bit that goes in your hole saw.
The hardest part I encountered was measuring where the light would go since I mounted the light to a bumper bracket. I wanted to make sure it was even on both sides. You'll see what I am talking about in the pics...

as for the type of light, I can't remember. I know I searched online FOREVER and could not find what I liked, then I stumbled on a set at Pep Boys that they didn't have last time I was there.

I also looked unsuccessfuly everywhere for some type of grommet so I bought some rubber tubing and spliced it to go around the hole and epoxyed it on. (using this you may want a larger hole, I used a 2 1/8" hole saw for a 2" light. The only thing I havent done yet is fill in the little gap in my self made grommet with some black epoxy.

sorry for the long rambling post.

Attachments

• DSC01927.JPG
    DSC01927.JPG
    166 KB · Views: 8
  • DSC01935.JPG
    DSC01935.JPG
    162.6 KB · Views: 4
  • DSC01936.JPG
    DSC01936.JPG
    205.2 KB · Views: 4
  • DSC01937.JPG
    DSC01937.JPG
    203.3 KB · Views: 4

Design

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the pics! That looks great and I like the way you anchored them to the bumper brackets themselves. That's a clean install.

Jon

Hoebag03

Full Access Member
Reaction score
wow! that is super clean, almost looks factory. nice job!:cool2:

c19dale

Reaction score
thanks guys....good luck if you try it and remember to TAKE THE BUMPER OFF to do it. It will be alot easier. And lay down a few towels for the chrome to lay on so it dosen't get scratched. I didn't do that at first :(

c19dale

Reaction score
FYI....If you noticed...I also moved my 7 pin trailer plug next to the liscnese tag so that it dosent get damaged from a little off roading...