removing bowtie emblems

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

elacher10

Reaction score
do you have to remove the whole bumper to take off the front bowtie and how do you remove the back one? let me know

thanks

elacher10

Reaction score
i have a 2007 tahoe if this helps. i want to paint my bowties black and i see that the bumer and grill are just one piece.

mikew2069

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i have a 2007 tahoe if this helps. i want to paint my bowties black and i see that the bumer and grill are just one piece.

Front bowtie (EASY): Open the hood. Stick your hand behind the bowtie and you will feel two 10mm speedbolts that need to be removed. Once removed, just pull the bowtie off w/ minimal effort as there is a little adhesive holding it on.

Rear bowtie (PITA): You have to get fishing line or something to pry behind the bowtie which is stuck on w/ some strong A$$ adhesive. Also while you are doing this, you have to be very careful not to break two little pins that go from the bowtie to the tahoe (you will know what these are once you take off the front). If you do break them, its not a big deal. I broke mine b/c no one told me about them, but it doesn't really matter. They just make reinstalling the bowties straight a lot easier.

Good Luck!

elacher10

Reaction score
yeah i tried to take off the front one with a 10mm socket and it kept slipping like the socket was to big. what did you use to take your off. and thanks for the info.

mikew2069

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yeah i tried to take off the front one with a 10mm socket and it kept slipping like the socket was to big. what did you use to take your off. and thanks for the info.

You just have to get back there and press the socket pretty decent and expect to make very small turns. At first it will seem like you aren't moving it, but it really is moving a bit....

Rich2007Z71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
what did you use to reinstall the rear bowtie?? thanks

My new one came with two strips of double sided tape already on. I added another 7-8 strips to help insure adhesion. And I pressed firmly for a couple of minutes to help hold on. Be careful lining it back up - the new ones don't have the two male ends to fit into the holes so you have to line it up by eye.

BackBT2-1.jpg

73shark

Full Access Member
Reaction score
sweet!!! thanks a bunch for the info. i am about to work on those emblems tomorrow.

On the rear one, you can separate the gold bowtie from the chrome base and have a chrome bowtie. Or you can paint the gold part and reuse it. You can use a credit card to carefully remove the gold part without breaking as it's held on with a small amount of silicone.

73shark

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thanks!!! did you use a heat gun or blow dryer to help melting the silicone?

Nope. Just used a credit card (sample, not real. Knew they had to be good for something) and slipped it under gently and just worked it around very carefully to avoid breaking the gold bowtie.