Remote Start Ready?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Gambler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, I'm sick of my dealer giving me the runaround regarding installing the factory remote start system. Has anybody had good experiences with aftermarket Remote Start systems? I'm looking at the Viper 160XVL at the moment. Any input?

JKmotorsports

tahoeyukonforum.com
Reaction score
I would absolutely LOVE to put a VIPER security system on my '07 Hoe! Are you saying that it can be done as long as the person installing it knows what they're doing? Like I said, the guy @ my local pro shop quoted me $800 for installing VIPER...is this a reasonable quote? And can it be done w/o messing any of the electrical systems in the Hoe? Thanks for the input! :thumbsup:

$800 for the Viper 791 and installation on an 07-up GM truck is about right. But for that price, I'd also see if they will include a couple options such as heated seats (if you have that option) and defrost. You won't need any extra parts, just labor. And if possible, get the newer version of the 791, the 5900. It has a much longer range, up to a mile.

JKmotorsports

tahoeyukonforum.com
Reaction score
Ok, I'm sick of my dealer giving me the runaround regarding installing the factory remote start system. Has anybody had good experiences with aftermarket Remote Start systems? I'm looking at the Viper 160XVL at the moment. Any input?

It's a good reliable system. You can do a few things with this that you can't with the factory system.

Gettreal

Reaction score
This thread is perfect for what I need. I was just about to post to ask how to get the FOBs required for remote start when you have a power liftgate. Now I have the part # and know thats its pretty cheap to do. Up here in Canada the GM dealers seem to triple the price so I'll be curious to see what they charge for the part and installation when I call Monday.:thumbsup:

Does anyone have a pic of what the New FOBs look like that have remote start AND power liftgate??

Tahoe07

Full Access Member
Reaction score
From what I understands the price listed above is for the equipment (fobs) and the install.

When you purchase this item the dealer calls into GM and gives them your VIN, in return they are given a code good for one-time use which allows the dealer to program your BCM to operate the remote start feature.

Gambler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's a good reliable system. You can do a few things with this that you can't with the factory system.

Good. I made an appointment for it to be installed this Saturday (along with getting the front 2 windows tinted). Do you guys know if the receiver is typically visible on aftermarket remote start installs, or are they hidden? From what I read there are many configurations as far as shutoff times and all. Should I tell them beforehand how I want it set up, or is that done post-install? Any previous experiences would be appreciated. Just wondering what to look out for. TIA!

JKmotorsports

tahoeyukonforum.com
Reaction score
Good. I made an appointment for it to be installed this Saturday (along with getting the front 2 windows tinted). Do you guys know if the receiver is typically visible on aftermarket remote start installs, or are they hidden? From what I read there are many configurations as far as shutoff times and all. Should I tell them beforehand how I want it set up, or is that done post-install? Any previous experiences would be appreciated. Just wondering what to look out for. TIA!

Usually the receiver antenna is placed in the upper portion of the windshield for optimum range. As for specific settings, you can let the installer know ahead or afterwards. The unit can be programmed after installation is complete.

Gambler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Usually the receiver antenna is placed in the upper portion of the windshield for optimum range. As for specific settings, you can let the installer know ahead or afterwards. The unit can be programmed after installation is complete.

Thanks. Regarding the antenna, what happens if you stick it inside one of the pillar panels? I know you'll lose some range, the question is how much. The thing has up to a mile range to begin with (I don't plan on ever walking a mile to get in my car) so do you think it would be fine if I had them stick it there? I'm just trying to keep it clean looking. Thanks!

JKmotorsports

tahoeyukonforum.com
Reaction score
Thanks. Regarding the antenna, what happens if you stick it inside one of the pillar panels? I know you'll lose some range, the question is how much. The thing has up to a mile range to begin with (I don't plan on ever walking a mile to get in my car) so do you think it would be fine if I had them stick it there? I'm just trying to keep it clean looking. Thanks!

If you don't want it visible, ask them to tuck it in the headliner towards the middle of the windshield. You'll lose some range, but you should still be well within operation of at least 1000 ft or so I'd think with the new system.

Gambler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I had the Viper 160XVL installed a few weekends ago. It works pretty well, the only issue I have with it is that the unlock button doesn't appear to register on the first press very often. When I press the lock button it works almost every time the first time. Does anybody know if there is a reason for this?

Pookster

Reaction score
Getting GM part #19154444 key FOB 's programmed on Monday for $45. Dealer tried last week but the GM phone number to get the code never answered, straight to voice mail. will update once dealer activates

Pookster

Reaction score
Got the remote start ready key fobs installed today for $45. Just need to figure out the operation.

Mike B

Reaction score
What is required:

1) TWO keyfobs @ $100/piece
2) ONE hour of labor @ $78/hour

Thats ALL it needs. And yes it will work perfectly at the above price.

Tahoe07

Full Access Member
Reaction score
GM parts direct has the remote kits for about $167. Talk to dealer about the install pricing.

...44 for w/o power lift gate
...45 for with lift gate

M

mikefdny

I have an early 2007 Tahoe LT1. It was Remote Started Ready when purchased. I had the dealer install the Chevy/GM remote starter.....about $300 and that included new Key fobs. If is well worth the cost.

Has anyone watched the dealer "install the remote start" in a AP8 REMOTE START PREP vehicle.
Here is what I have found, the list price from the factory for a vehicle delivered with a REMOTE START is $175, dealer cost is $145.
I have been told, The "installation" by a dealer requires new Key Fobs and flashing the vehicle to accept the start button on the key fob.
Can anyone confirm this

beach109

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Has anyone watched the dealer "install the remote start" in a AP8 REMOTE START PREP vehicle.
Here is what I have found, the list price from the factory for a vehicle delivered with a REMOTE START is $175, dealer cost is $145.
I have been told, The "installation" by a dealer requires new Key Fobs and flashing the vehicle to accept the start button on the key fob.
Can anyone confirm this

It's treated as an accessory, with the only parts being the 2 new remotes with the extra button on them. List price for them as the accessory is $195 but the price you'd actually pay is whatever the dealer you get them through charges or whoever you order them from. For instance, on GMAccessoriesStore.com, they sell the remote kit for $168.24. Many different GM parts sites have slightly different discounted prices...or you could just have your dealer (who will have to program it) match or beat a price...well, if they're at all interested in doing so.

Manual Liftgate: Part Number: 19154444
Power Liftgate, Part Number: 19154445

And for the complete listing of GM accessories and list prices:
http://www.gmaccessorieszone.com/

From there, the vehicle just has to go into the dealer service department and be hooked up to their computer. The tech has to call in to the system and get the correct program downloaded into the computer and your truck...essentially just to turn the feature fully on. Once that's done, the remotes are programmed to work with the truck, and you're good to go.

Some people's dealers have had problems at times connecting to get the programming, etc., but it's really a simple thing to do, with no wiring, etc., just a download and check that everything is working properly. I've seen it done once, and know several other people with new GM vehicles where it was "prepped" but not there and once they had the new remotes and program...wal-la. Easy, clean, and just like it was an option from the start.