Rear suspension noise

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

paradisepwoffrd

Reaction score
Hey all, Im new here and new to my tahoe and most of its comforts.

I have an 03 Tahoe with 4x4 and autoride w/ ~77k, and have recently noticed a noise coming from the rear. When I go over a bump at speed I hear a thump noise from the rear of the truck. It sounds like something is moving around. It doesn't do it all the time, and doesn't do it at slow speeds. I havent noticed any real problems, just an annoyin noise.

Do you think this is something in the suspension, or something else?
TIA

clkelley

Reaction score
Welcome to the neighborhood!

The site has gone through a rebirth of sorts after being allowed to stumble through some issues. That being said it is making a comeback so some of the older stuff hasn't been answered.

Can you explain a little more details about the noises you are having? Is it a hard clunk, etc. How hard of a bump does it take to make it happen, etc?

nolongeramember

Reaction score
its not a clunk but sounds like something moving around in the back left. I am not sure if its a bushing or a coil spring.

When I go over a bump at like 25-35mph I hear a thump noise from the rear of the truck. It sounds like something is moving around. It doesn't do it all the time.

I have made sure the spare tire and tire jack are tied down and not moving around, I thought it could be the muffler so I replaced it with a flowmaster, but it still makes the same noise.

clkelley

Reaction score
I would actually remove the wheels and inspect the brakes, it sounds as if you could possibly have an E-brake shoe either separated or moving around inside the rotor, possibly.

Double check the shocks, you will need to remove the bolt from the bottom shock hanger to test them, but if one is shot or busted you will be able to compress it with little to no effort and it will not want to rebound.

Grebbler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
An elusive spot to check for noise in the rear is the torsion bar cross-member. It bolts through rubber bushings and when they fail you will get a muted thump.

Grab the cross member near the frame and try moving it up and down checking for noise and play.