? on RIMS

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jayhawk25

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well its getting to be about spring time and i am going to be looking to put some rims on the 01 Tahoe sometime in March but i need a little info to get me started. I think I am going to go with 24s at the stock height since i just replaced my autoride set up. I wanted to know what you guys opinions are on what brand/tire size to run. I would like to avoid going with the rubberband tires since the roads are a little rough in spots here so i would like to have some meat on them but also dont want any rubbing issues either. I know that going with bigger rims are going to throw the speedo off so would it be wise to look into a programmer? Also what offset do i need? Really I am trying to get an idea of any additional costs or items that i would need to purchase besided the rims/tire that way i can get my budget straight and know what all i will need to purchase. Any advice input is appreciated. TIA

oh and also in your opinion, is it worth the extra $$$ to ride on some chrome?

JKmotorsports

tahoeyukonforum.com
Reaction score
If you're looking for a little more meat, you can try a set of 305/40 or 295/40 tires. I'm running 305/35/24 on mine. The 40s will add a little more sidewall. I'd expect your speedo to be off by roughly 6-7 mph, but you can fix that by a handheld programmer or a custom pcm tune. As for added expenses, keep in mind that the added weight from the larger wheel/tire combo means more rotating mass, which is going to bring down your fuel economy as well as braking effectiveness. If you don't swap your brakes for a more effective larger kit, you'll be going through brakes pads much more often and your braking distance will definitely be increased. I would look into upgrading your steering linkage as well in the future to handle the added stress not only from the wheels being heavy, but also because you will have more grip on the road from the larger contact patch, causing even more premature wear on the tie rods, pitman arm, etc. That and the fact that the stock parts are already weak as they are.
As for the chrome versus black/painted, it really just depends solely upon your personal tastes. There are some colors that don't look good with black wheels IMO, but good on others. Good luck.

sixty9fordkiller

Full Access Member
Reaction score
dont go with 305 40s. that tire is designed for the H2. My company does heavy business with a tire distributor in Los Angeles and the TOYO told me that the 305 was designed for the H2 and will rub on Hoes/Yukons/Slades/Avys/Silvys/Sierras. I can vouch for that because i have 285 40s and when i turn the wheel, i can squeeze in 1 sheet of standard printer paper in between the tire and the inner fender wells. Ive ridden on friends trucks running 305 35s and 285 40 (like mine) and the ones that rode the best in my opinion were the TOYOs, Nittos, and Pirellis. The ones with Falkens were horrendous along with a couple other brands i wont mention. The truck will look better and tougher with the 305 35s but will ride smoother and better with the 285 40s. Its your choice!

One word of advice; staying on top of front end maintenance will be a big plus and possibly necessary because im sure you dont want around $2000 worth or high end tires to wear out on the sides after 6000 miles because you didnt have proper alignment and or adequate steering linkage and front suspension. I take it every 3 months to get the alignment checked. The truck now has 42K miles and Ive had my 24s for the last 18K and (knocking on wood) havent had to align it yet since i got it new in july 05