new 08 suburban owner

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PeanutGallery

Reaction score
:excited:

another GMT900 fan has finally joined the ranks - my wife and i took delivery of an '08 suburban Z71 last friday evening. we've had an '02 grand cherokee (limited, 4wd, 4.7L V8) for the last few years and at one time considered upgrading to a commander, and then we drove a loaded hemi limited back to back with an '07 tahoe LTZ and our choice was easily made. just had to wait for the right time....

the jeep just hit 69k miles and was probably on borrowed time as far as expensive repairs go - we sunk around $2k into it a year ago, and it was probably only a matter of time before it claimed another chunk of our wallet. we also were concerned about travelling in it - we just had a baby in august and took our first trip to the beach a few weeks ago, and not having rear HVAC or much cargo room, on top of having a pretty rough ride, makes the WJ a less than perfect travel companion.

so, with the $5k rebates available on '07's in october we looked very heavily into finding a leftover tahoe LTZ or yukon denali....but given that by the time we made that decision we only had a couple days to do something, we couldn't find what we were really looking for, and plus we couldn't work a sweet enough deal to make us pull the trigger.

november brought slightly reduced rebates and even smaller inventories on the '07's, so we started thinking more about an '08 - especially since we were beginning to feel like a suburban was a better option for us long-term. the bad thing about the tahoe is that with the rear captains chairs and the 3rd row, you either have good seating capacity with minimal rear storage or you have pretty minimal seating capacity and slightly more storage than our jeep. putting an infant carseat in one of the captains chairs just worsens the issue. with the suburban, you get all the seats AND good rear storage....so there we were.

we decided that a 4wd Z71 sounded most attractive to us, and we really liked the new-for-08 blue granite color.....so we did some research and located a loaded suburban in that color just a couple hundred miles away. we worked with a local dealer through a friend who used to work there and managed to get a true-invoice-minus-rebates deal, which included the standard $1k truck month rebate, the additional $750 GM rebate, $500 in local auto show bonus cash, and then another $1500 in GM credit card rebates. we were able to get a good enough trade-in quote on the jeep and took the plunge.

we took delivery last friday evening - '08 suburban Z71 4x4 in blue granite over ebony/light titanium, and it has the sun/sound/entertainment package, the power rear liftgate package, the heated & powered flip/fold 2nd row captains chairs, and the roof rack cross bars. part of me wanted the 4.10 gears for the get-up-and-go factor around town but the smarter half of me figured i'd pay through the nose at the gas pump for that luxury, plus the one we found had everything else we wanted and it wasn't worth passing it up for something i didn't need anyway.

here are a few pics from the other day:

DSC04825.jpg

DSC04830.jpg

DSC04831.jpg

DSC04828.jpg

so far we love it - i took it on a 200-mile highway trip yesterday and averaged 17.7 mpg per the DIC, which is pretty much dead-on what my jeep got on the same trip - so i'm happy about that. i'm sure it'll get a little better once it's broken in, too. as far as minor gripes - i wish it had factory HID's, express/one-touch-up power windows in front, and maybe a 2nd trip odometer....but beyond that it's great. haven't had to parallel park it yet, though! :crazy:

i'm already contemplating an intake and exhaust for it to free up a little HP and give it a bit more aggressive sound, but those will be a little ways down the road...gotta enjoy the newness of it as-is for a while first.

Getwired

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Congrats!

Cool! Don't see many Suburbans on here. Nice color too. ;) Looks alot like my '07 Stealth Gray XL Denali. Welcome, and enjoy your nice new ride!

High4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good for you. It sounds like an ideal truck for what you are wanting. I'll be interested to hear how you like the Z71 suspension.

06Evolved

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That is a nice Burb, I like the color alot.

Rollin Thunder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i almost went for an 07 suburban z71, but it was 15k more than my 06 yukon and i just got money then so i was not in to the, yea i can afford it its only money thing. nice truck, but im still happier with my 06 yukon and 08 sierra. :thumbsup:

PeanutGallery

Reaction score
Cool! Don't see many Suburbans on here. Nice color too. ;) Looks alot like my '07 Stealth Gray XL Denali. Welcome, and enjoy your nice new ride!

thanks - from what i understand the color code from GM is the same for both chevy's 'blue granite' and GMC's 'stealth gray'. haven't parked side by side with one to confirm but i think they're effectively the same color....just named differently.

if i'd gotten a denali i wanted stealth gray, ironically enough....seems like the majority of GMT900's around here are either white, black, or silver....it's nice to have something slightly different IMHO (not that there's anything wrong w/ the other colors though!!). :thumbsup:

Good for you. It sounds like an ideal truck for what you are wanting. I'll be interested to hear how you like the Z71 suspension.

so far i'm happy with it - it rides like a cloud compared to my jeep, that's for sure. :lol: the extra length of the suburban smooths out any residual roughness or jiggliness that might be faintly detectable in a tahoe, from what i can tell - so on-road it rides quite nicely. seems to do OK in curves as well - not too floaty or anything. i haven't had it over any real rough terrain though; hope it'll hold its own there too...

Guardian

Reaction score
The Wife and I have seen an '08 Z71 Tahoe 4X4 on the dealers lot. It's also the Blue Granite which my Wife said she now prefers over the Deep Ruby Red. It was a great looking vehicle to say the least.

Unfortunately I won't be able to pull the trigger on this until Mar or Apr 08 so I'm hoping this particular vehicle stays on the lot for a while. Maybe I could get a pretty good deal in late Mar or Apr if there's some talk about the 09s coming out in July. Here's hoping anyway.

Great looking vehicle. Can't seem to talk the Wife into going for the Suburban.

HofB99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good for you and your wife!!! Nice story...obviously, you two thought things through before taking the plunge. I, too, originally wanted a 'burb, and almost had one. But when I arrived @ the dealer that I was going to buy it from, they told me that someone already bought it only 5 minutes ago!!! :eek: Needless to say, I was fuming!!!:mad2:--especially after I called and the salesman told me he would have it ready for me when I got there... Really poor business practice, IMO!!! :mad:

Anyway, I got off track!!! :crazy: Really happy for you...enjoy!!! ;)

PeanutGallery

Reaction score
thanks for all the kind words and the warm welcome!

The Wife and I have seen an '08 Z71 Tahoe 4X4 on the dealers lot. It's also the Blue Granite which my Wife said she now prefers over the Deep Ruby Red. It was a great looking vehicle to say the least.

Unfortunately I won't be able to pull the trigger on this until Mar or Apr 08 so I'm hoping this particular vehicle stays on the lot for a while. Maybe I could get a pretty good deal in late Mar or Apr if there's some talk about the 09s coming out in July. Here's hoping anyway.

Great looking vehicle. Can't seem to talk the Wife into going for the Suburban.

well, even if that one gets sold - they're always making more....and if you have to you can have your dealer locate one and trade for it (or find a dealer who will work with you, if yours won't).

on the tahoe vs. suburban thing - my wife was initially hesitant to go for the suburban but when you think about it being only 20" longer than the tahoe, it doesn't sound so bad...and looking at the cargo area of each one certainly makes a difference!

Good for you and your wife!!! Nice story...obviously, you two thought things through before taking the plunge. I, too, originally wanted a 'burb, and almost had one. But when I arrived @ the dealer that I was going to buy it from, they told me that someone already bought it only 5 minutes ago!!! :eek: Needless to say, I was fuming!!!:mad2:--especially after I called and the salesman told me he would have it ready for me when I got there... Really poor business practice, IMO!!! :mad:

that stinks - probably one salesman snaking the deal out from under another one....:( a cutthroat business, car sales can be.... :nonod:

The only down side to the Suburban would be parking and it wouldn't fit in my garage.

no doubt...fortunately, my office is in suburbia and i seldom have to park in confined areas, and our house has a full basement garage with plenty of depth....though those big mirrors get awfully close to the door jambs coming in! gotta be careful, that's for sure.

Rollin Thunder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
we have just the standard garage and my xl fits in there perfectly, now its tight and only the little 2 seater mercedes fits in with it, but it works. i have pics to prove it. my 06 has none of the fancy, back up beep beeps or the rear view camera and i can navigate it just fine when parking, the rule of thunb i have is not to trust my mirrors and look back

AWSOME SUBURBAN, some days i wish i got ones and others (almost 95%) i am so happy i have my xl.

LAP TOP GAMER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
flying somewhare in VATSIM&Delta virtual airlines
we have just the standard garage and my xl fits in there perfectly, now its tight and only the little 2 seater mercedes fits in with it, but it works. i have pics to prove it. my 06 has none of the fancy, back up beep beeps or the rear view camera and i can navigate it just fine when parking, the rule of thunb i have is not to trust my mirrors and look back

AWSOME SUBURBAN, some days i wish i got ones and others (almost 95%) i am so happy i have my xl.

I coulden't see parking the Tahoe without mirrors.