Need help with a decision....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

botomgun

Reaction score
Hey, all....New to the forum, but feel that it is the right place to solicite some advive. I have a 96 Tahoe that, after 2 years, I am considering some changes to. Mostly due to desiring a new paint job, but also because I have a hard time keeping my hands still. I'm surprised I made it this long. Anyway...I need opinions on which way to go with the exterior. I bought it stock. Here it is after I bought it:

Tahoe.jpg

I recently stripped the badges and molding off thinking I am going to go for the blacked out look. So far:

Tahoe Now.jpg

If I go with the total black out I figure it will look like this (minus the wheels):

Black 100_1639.jpg

After removing the molding, I am not sure I like it. It looked great, and I think classy, stock with molding on. I like the look of the blacked out version (thanks, PS) but not sure I will like it as much as the original. I don't want to spend too much just to have it turn out that I don't like it. I had to remove the moldings anyway as the chrome was pretty much gone after 12 years and the fender molding was full of door dents. Plus I will be repainting next year. Both are easily replaceable if I decide to go back, but the bumpers could set me back a few dollars.

Looking for opinions and welcome them all. I realize each has their own taste, and in the end I will make my own decision, but feel free to voice yours!

wreckless123

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For some reason I like them stock and that is not usually the case with me and my toys.. Uaually I like a truck debadged but not so much in this case. I guess because the Tahoe was ment to look classy and not sporty..

boostaholic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I loved my limited without the side moldings, the guy I sold it to has since painted the marker lights all black at my recommendation and it looks 10x better. Now he just needs to lower it and buy a blower
DSC01225.jpg

botomgun

Reaction score
Thanks...I dig the fog lights in the bumper! Agree with the marker lights.

chevyrider

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I loved my limited without the side moldings, the guy I sold it to has since painted the marker lights all black at my recommendation and it looks 10x better. Now he just needs to lower it and buy a blower
DSC01225.jpg

What kind of wheels are those? I think they look good.

Mike97

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I like the stock look, but prefer fender flares to the chrome strips on the wheel wells.

I kinda like the side molding, but not if the chrome is peeling. If I were you I'd go with the blacked out look at this point since you've come this far with it.

Slammed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I am in the same boat as you except mine is a 99 however looking at yours I like the blacked out look

BigBlackBurban

Full Access Member
Reaction score
DSC01225.jpg
[/QUOTE]

Sweet, That's the look I'm going for. Where did the front bumper come from? BTW did you happen to sell your truck to Darth Vader? LOL

boostaholic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's a 2000 limited so it came with the police brakes, bumper with integrated fogs like the z71, deleted moldings/roof rack, 16" ronal wheels, bigger trans cooler, power steering cooler, 2 tone leather, and all the goodies (except a transfer case). I really miss the truck as it ran like a champ and I did alot of mods (especially the stereo) but I wanted something more than 2wd for colorado and had to resort to a lowly 02 denali. Wheels were the stockers powdercoated black. Some more pics cuz I miss her
DSC01220.jpg

DSC01224.jpg

tahoe.jpg

530322443.jpg

530322441.jpg

Paint was like glass when I sold it, buddy did a fantastic job on the detail. I had a magnaflow catback painted black, k&n fipk, granatelli tune, and a magnaflow y-pipe that made the most difference. Needless to say I liked doing powerslides and burnouts.

Trend Setta

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm not a fan of the side moldings...Happy they're in the trash :) I love the all black look..I'm trying to get mine like that, just need to get my rims painted/powdercoated ...and boostaholics old ride looks like something from the C.I.A or something...def murdered out

chevyrider

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was looking at a granatelli programmer as well as some others, do you have any oppinions on this or suggestions ?

botomgun

Reaction score
Thanks for the inputs.....I also like the blacked out look, but need to decide if I am going to like it for the long haul. As I stated in the original post, I do like the classy look of the stock original. Maybe if I put the molding (just black, no chrome) back on that will help. I did a PS of black stock wheels, also. Didn't look too bad. It's on the other compter, though. Powder coating in Hawaii is pretty high. Probably just as easy to get new rims.

Slammed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
could you please post the process and products you used to remove the moldings and ect please and thanks I think this is what my hoe needs to look hot and sexy

botomgun

Reaction score
Contrary to many other posts that discussed the use of either fishing line or a credit card, I used a razor blade to get the moldings off. Carefully, of course...I also used the razor blade to get the majority of the left on tape strip off. After that I used a bug and tar remover. Many, many coats of bug and tar remover. This was crucial in not being too aggressive and scratching the paint. Each layer removed a little bit at a time. Patience is the key. I also used my wifes (shhhhh) Pampered Chef scraper. It was soft enough not to scrath the paint. In hind sight I might have tried a 3M removal product.

botomgun

Reaction score
I have decided to contiue with the black out look. Thanks to all who contributed an opinion. Now I am down to deciding on a wheel. Below are two ideas (not neccessarily the exact wheel, but the style and color). Either black:

Black 100_1639 with Black Wheels.jpg

or chrome:

Black with Foose Nitrous Legend Chrome F117.jpg

Currently I like the chrome. They just seem to finish the look. Plus the wife likes them (which makes purchasing easier).