Looking at a 96 Tahoe

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

chunklefunk

Reaction score
So browsing Craigslist I found a 96 Tahoe for $2500, looks decent has a new paint job, owner claims to have put in $600 worth of work, but ended up buying a new truck. He says the only issue is that the a/c compressor might have a leak. On the outside it looks well maintained, going to look at it today.It has about 200k in miles. V8 motor, 4x4, 5.7 350 Vortec. I'm a Networking guy by trade,but would love to have a daily driver, ie .50 miles to work and something to tinker around with my kids.

I have this project where I want to take my 3D printer and digitize all the plastic parts and upload them online.

We had an 03' Suburban so I really want another Chevy Tahoe or Suburban or a GMC.

Any thoughts? Things to look out for?

lesterl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
LIM gaskets, front end parts (Idler arm/ Bracket, Pitman arm, Ball joints, control arm bushings, CV shafts, Check fluids, Fuel pump.)

Just because fluid looks new doesnt mean there isnt a problem, sometimes people change fluids to mask an issue before a sale... used fluids with some wear may be preferable.

Ice98

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If the AC compressor has a leak it is a common issue, on the outer seals for the casing they torqued some of them badly and that caused leaks over time, if you have the time and tools you can rebuild the gaskets and O-rings for about $15-25 depending on if you do the shaft seal or not, most tools you can borrow from your local auto parts store

Make sure you drive it and really check the brakes and acceleration, even at 200k miles you shouldn't have any shaking/trembling or shuddering in a suburban

Mine had toasted rotors when I bought it, if they are the old 2-peice melded rotors they warped easily, but even so that is an easy upgrade to 1-peice rotors

iownit4

Reaction score
I have a 96 2 dr with 83,000 runs great, but went through 2 fuel pumps in 10 years .. Pain in the ass , check fuel lines and brake lines too .. Common prob is rust.

Ice98

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 96 2 dr with 83,000 runs great, but went through 2 fuel pumps in 10 years .. Pain in the ass , check fuel lines and brake lines too .. Common prob is rust.

I have one with 140 on its orig fuel pump, mom had a 96 with 230k, it is a common problem that they overheat, but never run lower than an 1/8th tank and your pump will last a LOT longer

lesterl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Definitley order and replace the pump with an AC Delco/ Delphi unit if you want it to last......