Locked Car-Keys in Ignition-Car Running

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jmor357706

Reaction score
This happened to me yesterday at 630am, in a snowstorm, and 3 hours from home. Started up the car to let it warm up. Shut driver door, cleaned snow off car, went to get back in the Tahoe to turn the defrosters on and all the doors were locked. I thought I read in the owners manual that the drivers door should never lock itself when there are keys in the ignition. Can anyone elaborate or verify this?

Thanks to Roadside assistance for their prompt, urgent service!!! What a morning!!!

LAP TOP GAMER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
flying somewhare in VATSIM&Delta virtual airlines
This happened to me yesterday at 630am, in a snowstorm, and 3 hours from home. Started up the car to let it warm up. Shut driver door, cleaned snow off car, went to get back in the Tahoe to turn the defrosters on and all the doors were locked. I thought I read in the owners manual that the drivers door should never lock itself when there are keys in the ignition. Can anyone elaborate or verify this?

Thanks to Roadside assistance for their prompt, urgent service!!! What a morning!!!

That's why Ostar is worth the money.

tast101

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Me too, I thought they only lock when u shift the vehicle out of park.

bahollis

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you can't use the electric lock, but I wonder if the door was manually locked by accident. Seems weird that all doors would lock. Check your driver settings on the steering wheel controls. You might be able to make them lock after a certain period of time.

???

BH

when m.

Last edited by a moderator:

JKmotorsports

tahoeyukonforum.com
Reaction score
Do you have an aftermarket system as well? Most aftermarket systems are default to lock/unlock with ign.

botomgun

Reaction score
I did that in my wifes Trailblazer. Luckily the door only shut onto the first latch. Still took about an hour to finagle (sp?) a coat hanger through the door and the jam to reach the lock switch. Not to mention the time it took to find a non-plastic hanger.

Rollin Thunder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you can't use the electric lock, but I wonder if the door was manually locked by accident. Seems weird that all doors would lock. Check your driver settings on the steering wheel controls. You might be able to make them lock after a certain period of time.

???

BH

when my truck is running, i can still lock with the buttons in the door. :ktoe:

Getwired

Full Access Member
Reaction score
when my truck is running, i can still lock with the buttons in the door. :ktoe:

:smilielol: Yeah, that's kinda what I was thinking too, dude! Now, if the keys are in the ignition, and it's NOT running, that's another story. You might have the doors locked except the driver door, then get out. The driver door should not lock at that point.

This nearly happened to me a couple weeks ago at Costco while filling up. Engine was off, I got out, pumped the gas, and then looked like an idiot when I tried to open my door to get back in. I was like "oh, crap!" when I realized that my cell phone was in the truck... DOH! Fortunately, it turned out that I must have manually bumped the lock while getting out (and locked it with my elbow), as the other three doors were open. PHEW! Embarrassing moment averted! :eek2:

Rollin Thunder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
:smilielol: Yeah, that's kinda what I was thinking too, dude! Now, if the keys are in the ignition, and it's NOT running, that's another story. You might have the doors locked except the driver door, then get out. The driver door should not lock at that point.

This nearly happened to me a couple weeks ago at Costco while filling up. Engine was off, I got out, pumped the gas, and then looked like an idiot when I tried to open my door to get back in. I was like "oh, crap!" when I realized that my cell phone was in the truck... DOH! Fortunately, it turned out that I must have manually bumped the lock while getting out (and locked it with my elbow), as the other three doors were open. PHEW! Embarrassing moment averted! :eek2:

your so mean to me, and i can punish you. :smilielol:

Getwired

Full Access Member
Reaction score
didn't seem like it but ok. usually when you have the laughing dude, your saying im pointing out the obvious. But i never take offence. :thumbsup: :D

Yup, but it was ironic that no one else even pointed that out...knowwhutImean? You can punish me for agreeing with you now. :rolleyes:

Rollin Thunder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yup, but it was ironic that no one else even pointed that out...knowwhutImean? You can punish me for agreeing with you now. :rolleyes:

you know i would never do that. you know i love ya man. :lol: you just have to go sit in a corner for now because i said so. but you can take your computer with you.

Getwired

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Maybe I'll just do what I usually do, and put the keys in my pocket while I'm outta the vehicle! :shhh: :p

Rollin Thunder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i keep a spair key ( no Fob) in my wallet, as i leave my phone in the car so that would not help to have onstar at that point.

01lt_hoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
it happened to me on Fri night... but I have a aftermarket remote starter, and after 12 mins it shuts the car off and locks the doors....

I started the truck with the remote... then put the key in the ignition, and turned it to the on position... but I never hit the brake to disarm the alarm, so after 12 mins it locked me out of the truck while it was running... the truck never shut off because the key was in the on position... the ironic part is I was standing outside the truck telling my buddy how I don't think on-star is worth it, and I don't need it :umn:

I thought by the key being in the ignition the doors wouldn't lock, boy was I wrong lol... anyway I had to wait about 40mins for AAA... needless to say on-star is looking more & more attractive...

speedr1023

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I heard of a plug that goes in your hitch that has a little combo lock that you can store an extra key in. I guess you can get it at NAPA or something for like $10. I haven't seen it up close so I don't know how good it is, but a guy I was talking to said he had one and uses it often.

opdenali

Reaction score
it happened to me on Fri night... but I have a aftermarket remote starter, and after 12 mins it shuts the car off and locks the doors....

I started the truck with the remote... then put the key in the ignition, and turned it to the on position... but I never hit the brake to disarm the alarm, so after 12 mins it locked me out of the truck while it was running... the truck never shut off because the key was in the on position... the ironic part is I was standing outside the truck telling my buddy how I don't think on-star is worth it, and I don't need it :umn:

I thought by the key being in the ignition the doors wouldn't lock, boy was I wrong lol... anyway I had to wait about 40mins for AAA... needless to say on-star is looking more & more attractive...

Same thing happened to me this winter...although i was never quite sure how or why it happened, makes sense now though. Guess you have to learn some things the hard way...have a key stuck under the frame now.

jmor357706

Reaction score
I must have manually locked it accidentally. I tried to "recreate" the lock out, but the driver door will not lock, so I must have hit the lever with my elbow on the way out. I think I will either get Onstar or sign up for AAA. Probably AAA.

Thanks for all your responses.