Just a 'heads up'.. Distributor Cap issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Stlrboo

Reaction score
Have a '99 Tahoe 2 dr 4 X 4 that I purchased 'new' in 2010! Sorta' new.. Had 330 miles on it.. :p
Anyhow, after 7/8 years started having water issues in the distributor.. Had my mechanic do the remove and clean/dry every year, but got tired of the charges.. Thus, I started buying my own cap/rotor, and chose Autozone (just down the street), and did the job myself.. GREAT, until it quit running after 6 months.. Repeat of the same.. Did it again..!
'Mechanic' suggested drilling a small hole (1/8" at most) in the side of the cap to help vent the cap, which has no factory vent that we could find! Extended the time frame, but no luck.. Switched to an Accel cap from Autozone and their recommended rotor.. Lasted about 6 months..
Finally went back to OEM (Delco) and their suggested cap (purchased on Ebay), drilled the small hole in the rear of the cap, and have had no issues since.. (almost two years).. and still running great! :Whoa:
Mechanic had been looking into the issue and his 'Assistant' measured the distance from the contacts in the Autozone cap to the rotor, and found the distance to be too excessive to create a good 'fire'..
Hope this was the issue! I am knocking on wood, but if this helps anyone else who has thoughts of driving their Tahoe into the Lake, I will be happy..
My rant is over.. Hope it helps someone.. :smokin:

lesterl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Vent is in distributor base where the cap mounts to, it may be plugged up......

Slammed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah vent is a rubber hose if i remember correctly

Stlrboo

Reaction score
Vent is in distributor base where the cap mounts to, it may be plugged up......
Did many searches for the particular unit in my Tahoe, and came up with nothing for a vent..
Even the replacement cap and rotor have a note attached referring to the 'moisture issues' in that particular unit..
Guess my 'drilled' vent works a lot better, whether there truly is a vent somewhere or not..
In either case, stick with the OEM ignition parts.. Save a lot of time, and hassle!:happy160: