I can feel the road through my steering wheel... why

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

steelerfan n GA

Reaction score
Yep - same with mine. I have a 2006 Z71 and it rattles when I am turning the steering wheel and going over uneven pavement. When steering wheel is straight, no problems.

I took mine to the dealer today armed with the TSB if needed. I'll let you know how it turns out.

tybardy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yep - same with mine. I have a 2006 Z71 and it rattles when I am turning the steering wheel and going over uneven pavement. When steering wheel is straight, no problems.

I took mine to the dealer today armed with the TSB if needed. I'll let you know how it turns out.

please do! this is starting to piss me off

steelerfan n GA

Reaction score
please do! this is starting to piss me off

So I took it in and explained the issue to them. A few hours later they called me and said that they had replaced the Intermediate Steering Shaft under warranty.

I have not yet been able to adequately test it to be sure this has fixed the problem because I do not go over roads on my commute home that would expose the rattle.

tybardy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I took it in and explained the issue to them. A few hours later they called me and said that they had replaced the Intermediate Steering Shaft under warranty.

I have not yet been able to adequately test it to be sure this has fixed the problem because I do not go over roads on my commute home that would expose the rattle.

keep me posted... however this is what i was told as well

dh04yuk

Reaction score
same thing here. Repaired once under warranty and once agan last year. I'm starting to feel it again! 04 Yukon 51k mi.

cam5728

Reaction score
Wish I saw this thread sooner, cause I was trouble shooting this yrs back on my 01 Yukon. It seems to be a common problem with these gm trucks and the only real solution is top replace that shaft with an aftermarket piece.
This is the one that most use
http://store.summitracing.com/partd...700+400016+303811+4294924653+115&autoview=sku
The dealer will just regrease yours and later the annoying banging shake in the steering wheel will just come back.
If you do a google search you will find many with the same problem.

jeep450

Reaction score
This has been a problem for us since 1999. The problem is with the upper steering intermediate shaft, the new shaft that is out is the 4th or 5th design out now but the new part is fixing them. This is a known problem but that does not mean it will be replaced under warranty if you are out.

steelerfan n GA

Reaction score
This has been a problem for us since 1999. The problem is with the upper steering intermediate shaft, the new shaft that is out is the 4th or 5th design out now but the new part is fixing them. This is a known problem but that does not mean it will be replaced under warranty if you are out.

So in my case where the problem was identified under warranty, if it goes out again after 3yrs/36K, well they fix it again for no charge?

jeep450

Reaction score
So in my case where the problem was identified under warranty, if it goes out again after 3yrs/36K, well they fix it again for no charge?

If it was replaced under warranty it will have a 12 month/12 k mile warranty on it. After that, no it would not be replaced under warranty unless you called customer assistance.

Then again, the service manager has the ability to "goodwill" problems to "good customers". That means someone who spends money with the dealer for oil changes,tire rotations, ect.

dennis

Reaction score
i was having the same problem if it is wat i thik it is check out your steering colum GM have been having a problem with them but not enough to send out a recall

jeep450

Reaction score
Yes, this has been a problem since 1999 but it is not a saftey concern so no recall.

GTOJOE05

Reaction score
This is a common problem with the 04. There was a notice:

Component Description:
1. STEERING: COLUMN
Bulletin Number 000235003N
Bulletin Date: APR 2008
Vehicle: 2004 Chevrolet Tahoe
Summary:
CLUNKING NOISE UNDER HOOD AND CAN BE FELT IN STEERING WHEEL AND/OR STEERING COLUMN (REPLACE UPPER INTERMEDIATE STEERING SHAFT [I-SHAFT] ASSEMBLY). ( NHTSA ITEM NUMBER - 10025148 )

See it for yourself:
http://www.edmunds.com/maintenance/...odel=Tahoe&style=LT+Rwd+4dr+SUV+(5.3L+8cyl+4A)

or more directly here:
http://www.edmunds.com/maintenance/...odel=Tahoe&style=LT+Rwd+4dr+SUV+(5.3L+8cyl+4A) - 1

Hope your warranty is still good. Good luck, just get them to fix it. My 04 Tahoe does it too. I haven’t been in to get them to work on it yet.

my sisters 2005 is doing the same thing clunk on left turns and going over bumps, but she out of warranty ,does the steering column intermediate shaft
part number 19153614 fit all GM TRUCKS/SUV 2000-2005

Last edited:

diy_dad

Reaction score
Try rotating the tires, Sometimes four wheel drive vehicles create a cupping type of wear on the outer edge of the tire and if you don't rotate at least every 10,000 miles the vehicle will tend to steer and feel different and follow every crack in the road, I bet it will feel totally different after tire rotation

odie301

Reaction score
I have a 2004 tahoe LT with 106k miles on it. I have the same clunking going on. A guy I work with is going to school to be an auto mechanic, and he sugested that my front ball joints may be going out, and to check my tie rod ends. With this type of mileage I guess I expect that, he said I can jack up one side at a time and slide a pry bar under the tire and try to pry the tire up. If the ball joints are bad the pry bar should cause the wheel to move. I will have to check my steering though, just in case. I notice mine when I am going slow and turning more than anything.

Vortecpowrd

Reaction score
steering problem fix

I own a 99 tahoe and the steering is "loose" or "has play" and I can "feel the bumps" in the road too. I learned that from 95 on up there is an evo sensor on the steering column, it relays steering wheel speed in combo with wheel speed to determine how much assistance the steering pump needs to supply. (variable ration power steering) The pressure switches are located somewhere on the power steering pump. I hear the evo sensor failing is pretty common (30 dollars). Also a symptom of sensor failure is the steering wheel feeling like it jerks when you are turning....this is the power steering pump at first correctly working, then while you are still applying steering pressure the pump begins 100percent assist which feels like a jerk. hopefully that makes sense... SO go to an auto parts store and ask for a "evo" steering sensor, -D

dh04yuk

Reaction score
I own a 99 tahoe and the steering is "loose" or "has play" and I can "feel the bumps" in the road too. I learned that from 95 on up there is an evo sensor on the steering column, it relays steering wheel speed in combo with wheel speed to determine how much assistance the steering pump needs to supply. (variable ration power steering) The pressure switches are located somewhere on the power steering pump. I hear the evo sensor failing is pretty common (30 dollars). Also a symptom of sensor failure is the steering wheel feeling like it jerks when you are turning....this is the power steering pump at first correctly working, then while you are still applying steering pressure the pump begins 100percent assist which feels like a jerk. hopefully that makes sense... SO go to an auto parts store and ask for a "evo" steering sensor, -D

I had this problem with y 99 as well. I was told that the servo's are not on the later models (I have an 04 now). On my '04 I have had the shaft replaced 2x already! Very annoying.

Last edited: