Help I'm smoking on takeoff

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

97srad750

Reaction score
My truck puffs out white smoke when I take off from a stop light. It doesn't do it in the morning when I first crank it up. I think it's progressively getting worse. Any ideas? I'm hoping its not a head gasket. Any idea what a head gasket replacement goes for.

79powerwagon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Where do you live? If it's cold outside, it's just water vapor from your exhaust. If you live where it's warm, it's either water from a head gasket, or (more likely) oil from blow-by...

Sepiroth

Spam Executioner
Reaction score
Pressure test your cooling system on a hot and cold engine and also do a cylinder leak down test to let you know where your issue/issues may be.

97srad750

Reaction score
I've got it scheduled to be looked at on Monday. I've checked the signs of what to look for online as far as the head gasket, and I doesn't seem like that's the issue. I don't see any sign of water in the oil, no water loss. My buddy up here at his tire store seems to think the valve seats need to be replaced, and that that isn't that expensive a fix. So hopefully they'll give me good news at the shop.

97srad750

Reaction score
Yeah it was the seats. I didn't get it fix, I traded it for a 95 Z28. I'm trying to find a little newer Tahoe that doesn't have so many little flaws like my old one did.

Thanks everyone for your input though.

SPXTrader

Full Access Member
Reaction score
White usually indicates water. I thought stem seals would be blue.

79powerwagon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
White usually indicates water. I thought stem seals would be blue.

Sometimes it's hard to see the difference due to whatever ambient light you have available at that moment. The best thing is your nose! If it smells like a weed-whacker or chainsaw, it's oil. If it's sweet smelling or "hot" smelling, it's water/coolant...