Engine Oil?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jayhawk25

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When i started up the tahoe to go home from work last night the change oil light came on but the thing is that I had just had the oil changed probably about 1000 miles or less at midas. The gauge on the dash is reading at 60, could this be because I didnt do the reset when the oil was changed? Also, I checked the oil level this morning and the level was at the add more oil mark but I had the engine running when I did this and cant remember if that makes a difference? any help would be appreciated. Thanks

JKmotorsports

tahoeyukonforum.com
Reaction score
You'll have to reset the Change Oil monitor every time you change your oil. Also, check your oil level while the engine is off. The oil pump ciculates the oil while the engine is running, so you'll get a false reading because not all the oil is sitting in the oil pan, which is where the dipstick gets the oil level from. And if you check it after running the engine, give it a minute or so for the oil to drain back into the pan from the lifter valley, rockers, etc.

jayhawk25

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey, thanks JK. That is kind of what i figured but i wanted to check before i keep driving her around. I am going to check the oil level again before i go home but it should have the right level. One question tho, does the gauge on the dash and the change oil light that comes on in the information center run off the same reset, im curious because the gauge on the dash is reading at 60 (wouldnt that be about normal) and the info center is saying it needs changed so it is kind of conflicting. if that makes any sense.

JKmotorsports

tahoeyukonforum.com
Reaction score
The info center tells you by the computer's calculation of several parameters that the oil has reached the end of it's life and should be changed. The gauge on the dash is for the oil pressure. Yours is reading 60psi, so that's within range while cruising. These are completely different.

jayhawk25

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok thanks for clearing that up for me. Does the info center calculate that just by the time that has passed from the time the oil was changed and reset was done or is there more to it than that.

JKmotorsports

tahoeyukonforum.com
Reaction score
ok thanks for clearing that up for me. Does the info center calculate that just by the time that has passed from the time the oil was changed and reset was done or is there more to it than that.

The monitoring system uses a computer program that uses parameters such as engine rpm and temperature to calculate when the oil should be changed. This is much more accurate method of calculating actual engine oil life than just using mileage and time.