Audio?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jayhawk25

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok so i am looking at replacing the stock 6.5 inch door speakers in the Tahoe (front and back) and have been doing some research and have put together a set up and just wanted to get some of your opions and also a couple of noob questions.

Also, i just replaced the stock stereo with an Alpine cda-9885 and just wanted to say this HU is great. Switching songs on the Ipod is just as fast as a CD and you can browse through playlist, genre, artist, album just like on the ipod. the only thing i was a little disappointed about was that it does not allow to search the ipod using the remote it has to be done using the controls on the HU, that is the only dowside for me. Anyways here is what im lookin at.

for speakers: Alpine SPS-17C2
for amp i have it narrowed down: either Alpine MRP-F250 or Pioneer GM-4300F

1. The speakers say the RMS on them is 2-50 watts. both amps deliver 40watts RMS X 4 @ 4ohms or 50watts RMS @ 2ohms. how can i tell what ohm the speakers will be?

2. With these speakers will they require the tweeter to be mounted somewhere on the A pillar or will they set in the factory locations as well?

i mostly listen to rap and hip hop so i want something that will deliver good bass without distorting. if anyone has any personal experience with this equipment any additional input would be great. Thanks for reading and the help. :thumbsup:

JKmotorsports

tahoeyukonforum.com
Reaction score
Your amp will be playing in 4 ohm stereo, which is good. Anytime you bring the load down on an amp (2 ohms, 1 ohm, etc), power output increases. But along with the power increase, you get more heat as well. More heat will increase distortion on the output. With this model speaker, the tweeter isn't removable, so the complete speaker will have to be mounted in the stock location. You can upgrade to components, but then you'll need a bigger amp to push the components to their potential. But the 2-way speakers you picked out will definitely make a huge improvement over stock with an amp pushing them. Of the two amps you listed, I would recommend the Alpine over the Pioneer. The electronic components used are better quality, QC is tighter, and you'll have less background hiss on quiet passages on the music track.

jayhawk25

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for clearing that up. the complete speaker mounted in the stock location is what i was lookin for since i dont really like the looks of just mounting tweeters on the a pillars. I was kinda thinking the Alpine over the Pioneer but thought i would get some feedback. will i get some descent bass off these speakers? oh and 1 more ? would you recommed putting some sound deadening material in the door as well? Thanks again

JKmotorsports

tahoeyukonforum.com
Reaction score
Since you have to take the panels off anyway to install the speakers, you might as well install sound deadening material such as Dynamat or Accumat. I wouls install on the inside of the outer panel as well as cover the entire inner panel. This will yield the largest results when doing the doors. As far as bass response, you'll get some decent midbass. I wouldn't count on too much low end, but either way it should be better than stock.