Alright, so Project: Hot Rod Hoe is being modified.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

General Stalin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As some of you may remember, I have been working on building a nice little 355 street/strip motor for my '95 Tahoe 4-door. I was tlaking about keeping the TBI fuel delivery and beefing up the 4L60e, or maybe trying to find a 4L80e for cheap from a boneyard.

Well, a few things have happened. One, I planned on this being a fairl short project and only taking this year to complete. Money troubles over the summer/early fall have turned this into a long term project... so it got me thinking why not play around with some different avenues and just take my time. Second, I live in Massachusetts and the emissions laws are officially changing next year: All vehicles made before 1996 do not need to pass emissions tests for state inspection in MA, they only need to pass a safety test. This definitely got my gears going.

So, now the new spin on the original plan. My engine is already in the hands of a trusted machinist, and it is already cleaned and bored .030" over. My next step I was waiting on was to buy a new bottom end kit, and give my machinist the pistons so he could hone the block. I decided I'm going to have him stroke the engine and build a 383 instead... but it will be a unique engine because it has a 4.030" bore instead of a 4.000" bore. So this would officially make it a 388 if I'm not mistaken. I'm gonna get myself a 383 stroker bottom end assembly with .030" oversized dish pistons, and changing the entire fuel delivery and gearing plan. Carburetor and maybe a Turbo 400 transmission.

Now, here comes some questions for you motorheads out there: What would you suggest as a good cam for this engine? Keep in mind that I do plan to drive on the road and on the highway; it will remain streetable, and it would need to make it's power down lower, not at 7 grand haha. I want something with power, but not so much power that I need to dump a fortune into the vehicle so that it doesn't explode when I try to drive it. I also plan on keeping it 4WD. I would like to keep it as a hydraulic flat tappet setup as it's maintanence free and doesn't cost and arm and a leg, unless someone can persuade me another way.

I also would love some advice on carburetors. There are a ton of carburetors, and I personally have no experience with carburetors, I just know they are simple and cheaper than fuel injection and make awesome power.

Lastly, what is the best way to go about getting my hands on a transmission? Should I buy a built up one off of Summit, call a tranny place and have them build me one, or tear one out of an old truck and build it/have it built?

I am obviously going to be investing a considerable amount more time into this, and a bit more money, but I don't want to spend years paying for everything, so I am trying to find the most cost effective means of getting the work done and the parts acquired (within reason). Any help would be very greatly appreciated.

treepete

Full Access Member
Reaction score
:10s:Im just going to sit in this thread and watch. That was a great opening post.

and new Meshuggah?

Hmmmph, yeeeeeaaaaahhhhh. :10s:

GMCYukalade

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think you should keep it fuel injected, that would probably cuase less headaches down the road - keep in mind you can get independant systems to run the fuel injection so you dont have to run off of the factory computer - you could get a different intake and a different fuel injection kit - because you already have a higher-flowing pump in the tank around 16psi i do believe.. Trannys... the turbo-400 isn't a rare tranny... around here i can find them pretty easy - there is one sitting behind a 454 in an older suburban at my local exhuast shop - you could probably find one of them and have it looked-at/built cheaper than buying a brand-new one - Cams.. im sure someone else will chime in on this one.. im not a cam man lol

Whippled2dr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nice build.

I'm assuming the crank you are using has a 3.75 stroke so

4.030 bore x 3.75 stroke = 383

Also just to note GM in their crate 383 motors uses 4.000 bore x 3.80 stroke because they don't want to bore out a brand new block.

General Stalin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the support/compliments.

4.030 bore x 3.75 stroke = 383
Yeah... true lol. I was thinking with the 3.800" stroke.

I may have found the bottom end kit I want: http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?part=ESP-B13404L03068&autoview=sku

$800 and it comes balanced and with a flexplate.

I think you should keep it fuel injected

That is what I was trying to do originally, but I have been told by motorhead after motorhead that I should just go carbureted. The thing you gotta realize, is that if I were get a different fuel injection kit, then that is a lot of money, and a lot of headache in my opinion. As it is, the TBI unit I was planning on buying was $500, and that is not including getting a new computer/getting my stock computer tuned, and if I actually wanted to get a whole new setup... then forget it. An aftermarket fuel injection system like Edelbrock Pro-flow, or Holley Projection or Commander TBI is anywhere from $1,000 - $3,000+. then, because it is computer controlled, I will have the have to buy a computer or have the kit computer tuned for me engine. When it comes down to it, I can spend like $400 tops on a nice Holley carburetor and make nearly just as much power. I have actually started thinking messing with a new fuel injection system and computers/wiring would be more of a pain than just bolting on a carb and adjusting the mixture screws.

and new Meshuggah?

Yeah, the long awaited new CD is great. Meshuggah has been one of my all time favorite bands since I was in like 9th grade. I wish they came to the States more often.