Aftermarket tint removal

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mike97

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got a ticket the other day for my window tint being too dark. $124.00 for that. Damn! The cop measured it at 10%, and the legal limit in this state is 35%. This really sucks because I bought it with that already installed. How can a dealer sell a vehicle with illegal tint?

Anyway, since I have to pay the ticket (unless I decide to fight it in court), I would like to remove the tint myself. Anyone have any good tricks for removing it from the front door glass?

sasquatch094

Full Access Member
Reaction score
damn that sucks.. ahh go to your eye doctor and tell him you need a doctors note to say u have UV sensitive eyes and you need tint on your cars..

GMCYukalade

Full Access Member
Reaction score
- You shouldn't have to pay for the ticket - just remove the tint off of your vehicle.. and tell the DA that it is gone... and if he asks for proof, just politely say, the truck is in the parking lot now

Edit...

Little side note, i too had "to dark of tint" mine was at 20% on the front windows - (the rear windows on our vehicles can be tinted as dark as we want them) the legal limit in my state is as well 35%... well, i removed the front tint (just had it done 2wks before the ticket) and re-did it with 32% - ticket was dropped.. (i actually forgot the recipt from the tint guy... before i went to court - and really had to tell the DA that the proof was in the parkin lot...)

Mike97

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was able to remove the tint myself after work yesterday. I called a couple different tint shops and got very different answers. The first one I called said it's too difficult to remove it without special tools. I asked him what kind of tools and he wouldn't tell me. I hung up on him. The second shop told me how to do it with nothing but a razor scraper. It was actually very easy. I just started at a corner and pulled the film off the window like a big sticker. It left a little bit of the glue behind in some areas so I just scraped it off with the razor.

I'm going to try the suggestion that GMCYukalade posted. Hopefully they'll at least reduce my fine. The biggest problem I have with it is that this will go on my permanent driving record because the cop checked the "traffic" box on the front of the ticket. How is dark tint a driving infraction?

GMCYukalade

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Saftey Hazard - (yes sounds stupid i know) - actually you may do better to take some pictures too.. just to have with you... - but they should drop it completly

skimo

Reaction score
FYI, when vehicles come from the factory there is no Tint on the front windows because some States its illegal to have it on. Some States you can have the whole rear window with Limo tint or covered with a cardboard. dealer dont care what percent it is because he isnt getting the ticket-you are(unfortunately). yep..considered a moving violation..

Mike97

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The thing that really gets me is that around here, nobody has any way to check how dark the tint is except the cops. I called several tint shops, and they all said that they don't have a light meter. How the hell is the average person supposed to know how dark the tint on their windows is if they don't have any way to check it?

Well, I decided to fight this. My court date is July 2nd. I have pictures that the dealer had on their web site that show how dark the windows were when I bought it. Hopefully the judge will drop the whole thing. I'll let you all know how it comes out.

GMCYukalade

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The way most cops do it around here who don't carry light meters is they take the drivers license from the individual they pulled over, they have you roll your window up and open your door, stick the license on one side of the window and try to see it from the other..

skimo

Reaction score
FYI, I have had a lot of Tint put on my Trucks/Tahoes/Mustangs for as long as I can remember to the present. Everyone of those Shops had a Display of what is Legal and illegal Tint along with the percent. Its really a win win for them if they put on the darker one. They don't get the ticket. You do. You get it taken off, then you go back to get a lighter shade put on...1 Customer 2 Sales......hope it works out......

GMCYukalade

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh ya, the shop i had mine done told me exactly what was legal and illegal.. but i was a hard head.. so i went with the illegal i mean sure why not all my friends are doing it.. - and im the one who got pulled and the shop was the ones who got paid..

Colabella7077

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Plead not guilty, go to court. tell them the problem, but first get some sort of PROOF that the tints were on there at sale of the vehicle. the DA will waive all legal issues and Nolle the ticket. I did it and it worked. and for removing the tints...fu*k the cop. You have to live with the cop, so he'll have to live with you and you're tints. next time you get pulled over...ALL WINDOWS DOWN!!!

96ProCompTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ALL WINDOWS DOWN!!!

HAHA yes! they usually get everyone for their rear windows around here. you can't really see through the rear factory tint as it is, just make sure you front windows are down when the cop gets up there.

if he wants them up tell him the motors are blown :)