AC Controller Problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PCBeach

Reaction score
1997 Tahoe AC controller is acting up. No matter what poition the fan switch was in the fan blew at a constant medium speed. Pulled the panel and removed the switch. Opened up and cleaned all the contacts. No the fan will trun off, but other positions just give me medium speed. Turning the temperature contol to max or pushing the recirulate button have no effect. These used to cause the fan to kick up to high speed. Any ideas? I am thinking the controller panel is bad, but I don't want to pop for the $100 if it is really the fan motor or some other part.
Unfortunatly none of our local salvage yards have a GM truck in this year range so I am stuck with buying online if I can't fix it.

shreksbrother

Reaction score
I recently had a problem similar to this, as well. No A/C, no recirculate, and no fan control. I replaced the panel and it completely fixed the problem. It seems unlikely you have a fan motor problem as it is blowing. Fortunately, our climate control systems are pretty simple, as the switch panel is the actual control for the system. I did notice a burnt resistor on my panel, as well. I've seen one that was charred-looking and one that had just somewhat melted from heat (didn't look glossy like the rest of them). Something to investigate. Good luck with yours!

chinookdriver

Reaction score
I recently had a problem similar to this, as well. No A/C, no recirculate, and no fan control. I replaced the panel and it completely fixed the problem. It seems unlikely you have a fan motor problem as it is blowing. Fortunately, our climate control systems are pretty simple, as the switch panel is the actual control for the system. I did notice a burnt resistor on my panel, as well. I've seen one that was charred-looking and one that had just somewhat melted from heat (didn't look glossy like the rest of them). Something to investigate. Good luck with yours!
shreksbrother,
I have a similar vehicle with a similar AC control problem... only blows on high and have to "beat" that out of it... My question is... is the resistor on these body style tahoes located on the control panel? Thanks, zach

qlc1964

Full Access Member
Reaction score
to get to the blower high speed relay / blower motor resister you will have to take

dash board off to get to them . there on top of the hvac housing

NOKUY

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You don't need to remove the dash to gain access to the resistor. You will need to drop the glove box however. You will see some wires going to it and it's near the blower motor. Relatively easy fix. Couple screws and your done.

96cherry

Full Access Member
Reaction score
bought fan speed controller from autozone 20$$ fixed my same problem

Shufisher

Reaction score
I have a similar problem (95 Yukon), fan speed works fine but AC buttons do nothing and it will only blow to the floor no matter what position the knob is set. Any ideas as to a fix? My first thought was to buy the AC controller unit until a buddy of mine referred me to this thread.
Thanks

apowell94

Reaction score
I bought a switch at orielly's. didn't fix the problem. still only works on high.

datdude5959

Reaction score
ok ih have a 98 tahoe and one of the resistors went out burned up cant tell the value does sny one know where i can get a wireing diagram for Ac heater control panel

lesterl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I tried repair mine, but ended up getting a junkyard one for a suburban?