A/C Work

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

botomgun

Reaction score
So I broke down and finally decided to replace my compressor, dehydrator and orifice tube. All was going well until I went to disconnect the line for the orifice tube (up by the condenser). After 13 years of togetherness, the fittings holding the fluid tube to the condenser decided that now was not the time to be seperated.

Why GM would put disimilar metals together I don't knoe. The male portion is aluminum and the female is some sort of metal (not a great combination at all). I got the two about half way seperated and that was it. So I decided that I would just tighten them back up and leave it alone, hoping the the two would seal again. That didn't work, either. They didn't budge.

So then I thought I would try to disconnect the other end connected to the evaporator near the firewall.....Same thing. Now I have two huge leaks in the system. Not sure why I did that (could have been the mechanic next to me egging me on).

Since I now have to cut the fluid line free from both the evaporator and the condenser, I bought myself a few days of ripping out the dash out and replacing bot hcomponents and the fluid line. Looks like I am going to become very close to my 'hoe.

So that is my vent. Quite disappointing, to say the least. Luckily I can get the parts pretty cheap (about $210.00 for all).

I do have a few questions. Does the Chiltons manual tell how to remove the dash assembly (to replace the evaporator)? I have a Haynes and that thing blows. Or does anybody have a link that tells how to remove the dash? Has anybody removed their dash before and maybe have a few lessons learned that may make my life a little easier when I go to do this?

I do enjoy doing my own work, especially when it saves me a ton of money (such as this). Eventually, all will be accomplished and I will feel good knowing I did it myself. Or I will curse the day I ever started this job. Any help would, as always, be appreciated.

botomgun

Reaction score
Does anybody have a Chiltons Manual for a 96? Before I purchase one, I want to make sure it tells how to remove the dash. They are all sealed when you buy them. I guess I could pull the cover of of one to see if it meets my needs....