98 tahoe u-joint clank.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

98tahoelt

Reaction score
When I take off from redlight it will clank in the rear. Like a u-joint i going out. They are all tight. Someone told me a bout a GM yoke that will fiv this. My idiot guys at local GM dealership can not find anything. Can someone help out on this. Part #s or something. What is involved in changing it out??? Very EXPENSIVE????

botomgun

Reaction score
I have the same problem on my '96. Mostly feel it after a sudden/accelerated stop or going over a speed bump. One of these days I'll get around to looking at it a little deeper. Possibly bad bushings? Shocks stuck extended after the stop? If you find anything out, PM me. I'll do the same.

diehardgm

Reaction score
The yoke being referred to is part # 12479383. There is a bulletin for this clunk and that is the fix for it. It lists for about $194 and you may as well put a new u joint in there while you are at it.

botomgun

Reaction score
great info..Thanks!

Is there only one component (rear) or is it the same for both ends of the drive shaft?

Hardwarz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had what you guys are experiencing. I finally found the source. It wasn't drive train at all. It was suspension.

Follow the torsion rods from the front suspension to where it connects to the crossmember. Shake the crossmember up and down. Does it move? On mine, the bracket that hold the crossmember in place was snapped.

Check that out and get back to me.

Hardwarz

botomgun

Reaction score
The problem is definitely in the rear of the vehicle (at least on mine).

Hardwarz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The problem is definitely in the rear of the vehicle (at least on mine).

I was getting the sound toward the rear of my vehicle. The crossmember is behind the driver's seat. 30 second check, you don't even need to lift the vehicle. Slide under and shake it up and down.

Hardwarz

qlc1964

Full Access Member
Reaction score
it sounds like it`s in your rear end. jack it up put it on stands with the wheels
clearing the ground put in N now go to the wheel and turn it left to right
quikly and listen for the sound. you can even start the truck and put it drive
listen for sound. good luck

peckmv

Reaction score
I had the same thing. When I took off from a red light there was a clunk that sounded like it came from the rear. I went through the usual 10+ mechanics that were no help. Then my transmission shop suggested that I go with a full synthetic trans fluid after a flush and guess what. Problem gone and I have 136k clunk free miles on it.

jwpotts0413

Full Access Member
Reaction score
wow! i hate to break it to u but u joints are like $15 and it only takes 20 minutes to change them.

USMCRay

Reaction score
So has anyone really figured out the true cause of the "clank" in the rear of the vehicle? My 98 does it and I thought it was the brakes. I checked them and found that they needed adjusting but didn't stop the noise. Drivetrain is tight so I am lost!!!!!! I also checked the torsion bar crossmember and it seams to be okay.

Last edited:

Slammed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I hear its normal so I just forget about it

GMCYukalade

Full Access Member
Reaction score
alot of people put Grease on the slip yoke, and they say it goes away for awhile

USMCRay

Reaction score
I put grease in my yoke yesterday and the clank went away. Definately getting the new nickel plated yoke asap. I found one for a little under $200.00 at GMPartsDirect.com. There is another thread all about this problem and the part number for the new yoke. I can't seem to find it right now but as soon as I do I will post it. But yeah for a temporary fix the grease works great. Some guys say if you keep going with the clunk it will eventually tear up your transfer case or even something else.

treepete

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yeah, we all get it. the fix is grease the slip yolk. then when you get tired of that fix, replace it.

GMCYukalade

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i dunno mine used to make a clunk like that 4 yrs ago when i first got it... now its been thru 4 rearends the clunk is gone? i've never greased the slip yoke - only made the noise when taking off from red lights