2WD in Snow?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rockymt21

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Found a 96 2dr Tahoe locally. Im not sure whether its a 2wd or 4wd yet, I'll know tomorrow when I check it out. But anyway, I am wondering how the 2wd version handles in the snow? The winters can get pretty bad up here (VT) so its important that it handles well. Any experience?

Thanks, Dan

Rollin Thunder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
it will work but 4x4 works much better. the older ones dont have the traction control and stability system like the 800's or 900's. a gmt 900 2wd will do incrediblely well in snow and 4x4 nothing stands in its way. But the gmt 400s not so much. My 99 suburban 2500 was a 2wd and i took it through about 8 inches of snow with black ice on the bottom. IT worked, but would not do it daily. I was just driving through thankfully.

Mike97

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2wd vehicles can work just fine in the snow. That's all I owned for 20 years before I bought my first 4x4 in 2001. In my opinion, it's more important for someone to have experience driving in slick conditions, especially if it's rwd. The other factor is to have good snow tires.

fyremanpat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If its only 2WD consider a locker. Better to be safe than sorry. Ive seen guys with lockers go through some sh*t.

96ProCompTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
get a good limited slip for the snow. 4wd is just there to get your ass out of the bind when you get stuck in the snow in 2wd. we usually don't get much snow here but we usually get a bunch of ice. i had a very light 2wd 5spd suv for the last couple years and never really had a problem.

tahoe did even better in the snow in 2wd, and it has mud tires on it. if you don't drive it like a moron you should be fine.

GMCYukalade

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, most of the time 2wd in the snow does perform a whole lot better.. since i was a boy my father done snow-removal i love to drive in the snow.. too bad i live in NC now and we hardly get snow here...

One major thing you gotta remember about snow.. there is No traction.. especially snow & ice.. so, no matter how many wheels u have spinning.. your still going the direction that your momentum is in.. - chains.. or snow tires(u kno the ole school tires w/ metal spikes coming out of them) - i mean if you live somewhere where you get snow and alot of it.. you know already what you need to drive in it.. - the Yukon/Tahoe is going to have more then enough weight to go in it in 2wd or 4wd.. in snow your not going to grab traction so tryin to go up a hill.. your best bet is speed or try your hand in a lil of my favorite - reverse driving :)

Rollin Thunder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yea good point, 4WD helps you start but not STOP! Dont drive around like your king of the world in 4wd and nothing can spin you out as then your most likely to wreck. I like haveing the option for 4wd , just kinda insurance. glad to no its there.

boostaholic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just learn how to drive it and you'll be fine

Blizzardof0618.jpg

Backed right out from a foot and a half of snow, good limited slip and spend some loot on burly tires.

Paul Greathouse

Reaction score
Every 96 and up 2 door I have seen is 4WD. Not saying they don't exist, I just don't recall ever seeing a 2WD, 2door. As far as driving in the snow, can't help you there, all we see down here in Louisiana is mud.

treepete

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2wd in the snow should be ok. If you get stuck for some reason, someone will help pull you along a little bit till you can go on your own again.
just go slow in the snow. theres plenty of weight in the truck to be ok with it, i think.

96ProCompTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
there are 2wd 2 doors they are just few and far between. there have been a handful of lowered ones on here and i ran into one when searching for my truck.