2012 Police Tahoe Manual Cargo Hatch not opening but window will

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

aSplinteredCell

Reaction score
This is my first day in the forum here, so I apologize if this post is a duplicate of any others. I did a search for similar problems and came up with nothing.

I have a 2012 Tahoe police model that is my departmental take home car. The city shop won't do much with it (maybe if I painted it red and slapped a fire department logo on it they'd look at it!! lol), but I can't get the dang back hatch to open. Neither the fob or the manual release pad on the liftgate will open the door. However, the back glass will unlatch normally with both the fob or the button on the hatch. The bad thing is that I can't get to most of my gear through the window (some items are too big) and I can't access it through the interior due to a prisoner cage.

My first idea was that a fuse had blown. However, all fuses checked ok.

Next, I thought it may be a battery issue with the fob. I changed that (even though it works all other functions normally) and there was no change with the lift gate operation.

Third, I wondered if I had messed up the wiring from the front power hub to the rear gate. I installed an aftermarked center console (my police departments did not install center consoles, even for our lights / sirens / radios. The radio is under the dash and the lights and sirens are on a wired remote control device). It was a pain in the but to not have a center console, so I went to the local big box store and picked one up. It took 4 screws to secure it to the center floorboard. Now I am wondering if I screwed in to a wire or something! I have looked for wiring diagrams and can't find anything that shows a link from the front power hub to the rear hatch under the center floor board. Of course, the wiring diagrams on the mighty Google are a little harder to locate than I imagined.

Like I said, my city shop isn't much help, and due to the nature of my assignment I can't be without my cruiser for 2 weeks while they check wiring etc. Well, and if I am the one that goobered it up by screwing the console in I would prefer to fix it personally!

I have a fair amount of knowledge in Chevy repairs, but that has all been on the 1985 K5 that I have restored. This new fangled electrical stuff is killing me!! HELP! :help:

Ont240

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have you tried a double click on the fob door unlock?

rockenthebowtie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Duh.. just noticed that you did state it was a manual liftgate.. the best way to test the circuitry is to go to the underhood fuse block and locate the 15amp fuse for the liftgate on top of the fuse you can see the test holes that expose the metal part of the fuse now do not remove the fuse for this test your going to need a somewhat of a long jumper wire with alligator clips on both ends clip one end to the back of the alternators battery cable nut and get a paper clip open it up to where you have a pointed part exposed now clip it to the jumper wires alligator clip and touch the top of the 15amp fuse where the metal is exposed if the liftgate opens chances are you have a bad fuse block if it doesnt open you may have either a broken power feed circuit to the liftgate lock actuator or even a bad lock actuator itself.. hope that helps some