2 More '95 questions - 4x4 how-to and tire pressure

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

y0diggity

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My '95 2-door didn't come with a manual so I have a couple (more) questions.
It has the lever type 4x4 on the floor. Is this the type that can be shifted "on the fly" or does the vehicle need to be in "N" prior to shifting?

Also, what is the recommended tire pressure for this vehicle? I can't seem to find the number on the sidewall of the tire. They're aftermarket tires as well, if that makes a difference.

Thanks again.

treepete

Full Access Member
Reaction score
look in the door jamb on the drivers side for tire pressure guidelines if your running the stock skins.
and if your not sure about the shifter, do it from a neutral or park position.
I cant say for sure about your year. But, thats my call.

and dude.

is that the "Ask A Ninja" guy in your avatar?

y0diggity

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thanks for the reply. I found a place to d/l the owner's manual from GM and that was pretty cool. Turns out I can shift while driving, although given the age and miles on the vehicle and the fact that I just got it and have no idea how the PO took care of it, I may just play it safe and do it from a stop.

And yes; it is the ask-a-ninja guy. Not many people notice that. :)

T-Bagg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think your best bet on shifting in and out of 4X4 would not be to do it from a stop. Slow down to about a 3 mph roll and put it in neutral, then shift in to 4 or 2 wheel.

As for the tire pressure... I was talking to a GM service guy the other day about it. He says your best bet for tire pressure would be what's on your door jam. As that goes by the weight of the vehicle.

Wilsahn78

Reaction score
As far as Shifting the way T-Bagg explains, that is the best way for switching in and out of 4-Lo.
As for 4-hi, you can shift in and out of that with no problems at most any speed although I would not recommend doing it when you are over about 55mph. I do this all the time on snowy roads and was told by my mechanic father that it is fine to do. I have a '95 Yukon.