08 Tahoe lt - 2 batteries?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

95f150

Reaction score
Hey fellas, new here to the forum.

Bought wife an 08 Tahoe lt few months ago. There's 1 battery located on passenger side near firewall. Looks like there's a spot for another battery on drivers side near grill.

While driving the headlights dim if I press heated seats or if the traction control kicks on. This normal? Maybee weak alternator? Or you guys got 2 batteries and previous owner removed one on wife's.

dbono97

Reaction score
I have seen the dimming of headlights from both ford SUVs and Chevy SUVs (including Tahoe and Yukons) that I have driven when using traction control. Traction control requires quite a few amps to do it's thing.

Heated seats, however, I haven't seen such a draw on the system.

What does your charge indicator show when you are driving? Should be between 12.5 and 14.5 volts DC.

95f150

Reaction score
It does show around 13volts when running. Battery must be weak and ready for replacement as I left kids DVD player on for them when I was washing truck (about 20 mins) and had to get a boost from another truck when I went to leave.

Anyone here have an empty spot for a battery on drivers side / grill corner? Not sure if this vehicle once had 2 batteries or if it just had 1 but has 2 alternative places to put battery. Battery that's in there now is on passenger side / firewall corner.

dbono97

Reaction score
Yeah sounds like the battery very well could be the culprit. Before replacement, I would highly suggest taking your car to a auto parts store or mechanic and ask them to run a load test on the battery. That way, you can determine if it is the battery or something else.

Chances are, you will probably end up investing in a new battery for your car. But make sure you test before buying. You don't want to end up buying a battery when your actual problem lies elsewhere (such as the alternator, etc.)

As for the voltmeter, 13VDC while the engine is running, may very well be normal for your vehicle. Consult your owner's manual or speak to a mechanic to find out what is normal. If it ever reads below 12VDC while running, then your car is not charging which indicates an issue.

Also, there is a place in my rig where I can add a second battery if I wanted too. But a second battery is not necessary.

powellcrazy

Reaction score
Yes there is a spot for a 2nd battery, it was an option that very few ever purchased. Would be a very nice upgrade if you put a winch on the front of the tahoe.

As mentioned above, a properly sized single battery will do the job for a stock equipped tahoe.

bowtie_hoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I recommend getting a yellow top optima battery. These batteries are good for vehicles with lots of electronics.