Auto Dimming Mirrors

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ibobby

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pros vs Cons and operation:

07 Denali. I've tried to turn of the auto dimming featuring off but everytime I restart the truck, it resets itself. (maybe it's user error). i understand how this feature can benefit drivers but I have tinted windows. At night when the auto dim is on, it makes the rearview and drivers mirror seem darker(reduces vision).

Any opinions, tips, grips? :brsh1:

P.S. and idead on stylish small convex mirrors. Trying to killed blind spot when I use the side mirrors. The little small set that you stick on(3M) the current mirrors. I've only saw a few cheap ones. Nothing yet that would go well with the denali.

Last edited:

ibobby

Full Access Member
Reaction score
WOW! I just found this http://www.etrailer.com/pc-HSM~CM08101.htm
I'll see if you they have more to fit the current models. I may be on the right path

cm08101.jpg

http://www.etrailer.com/y-423.aspx

Stargazer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i understand how this feature can benefit drivers but I have tinted windows. At night when the auto dim is on, it makes the rearview and drivers mirror seem darker(reduces vision).
Do you have aftermarket tint on top of the factory tint? I've had auto-dimming mirrors on several of my vehicles, some with aftermarket tint on top of factory tint.

Since the auto-dimming mirror only dims when it senses glare, after putting on the extra tint, the mirror never dimmed anymore.

I haven't added aftermarket tint on my Denali yet, but eventually I will. Anyway, I find that I don't really need to see dark objects behind me when I'm driving forward. The only things that concern me are the ones with lights on. Plus when I'm backing up, the reverse lights and backup camera provide a pretty good view that I don't need the rear view mirror.

One more thing about blind spots: For years and years I've been adjusting my mirrors farther out to eliminate the blind spot. There's no need to see the side of your own vehicle when you are driving. It what they taught us at the track, too. Here's some info on it: http://www.cartalk.com/content/features/mirrors/

ibobby

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Cool.

My mirrors are set further out. Been doing that for years. But every vehicle will have blind spots, even with additional mirrors. Just try your best to eliminate as many as you can.

I like the little small convex mirrors especially for seeing the sides of your vehicle when pulling into a parking spot. No need to lean out the window to see how close you are to the parking divider or curve. (dont want to scratch the 20's) :thumbsup: They also help when turning corners.

But When mirrors seem to dim right at night fall. It factory tint with after market tint on the drivers window to match the factory tint. I noticed the dimming on evening when i had both the drivers and pass front windows down. The driver's side mirror was darker than the pass side mirror. It confused me because I thought as you did..."only when it picks up glare." Maybe I have a problem with the sensers.

Last edited:

LVYUKYUK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah,

My father drove semis for his entire life so he passed on mirror tricks to me. I've never focused on my own car, rather in the lane beside me, BUT the flaw in that article is in relation to height. If you have a small sports car beside you, you will not see it. Those $1.99 spots take care of that. With those, and aiming out, you do not need to turn your head while driving. Also helps backing up the boat.

I'm confused by the comment that your mirrors don't dim any longer because you tinted your windows? The sensor would be in the mirror no? The window would have no effect? I say this because I have the dimming mirrors and dark tint windows and love it. My mirror still dims out which is fine by me. I agree on the rear view, that does not dim 'as much', but the outside one still does. Or am I trippin?

chadwick02

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I saw this post about the CIPA hotspotz and I got so excited I email CIPA to see about a hotspotz that will fit 07+ tahoes. Within 3 minutes I got this message from CIPA:

The part Lumber is 08104. You can call Camping World Special orders 800-622-6264. They take orders over the phone for any of our products and drop ship to your home.

CIPA-USA

Customer Service.

azho

Reaction score
why dont you just trade someone without the auto dim on their truck?

Stargazer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm confused by the comment that your mirrors don't dim any longer because you tinted your windows?
I was talking about the rear view mirror. The driver's side mirror is not affected by the tint since it's outside the vehicle.

Does dark tint make more of a difference on the rear view mirror because I have an XL?

ibobby

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I saw this post about the CIPA hotspotz and I got so excited I email CIPA to see about a hotspotz that will fit 07+ tahoes. Within 3 minutes I got this message from CIPA:

The part Lumber is 08104. You can call Camping World Special orders 800-622-6264. They take orders over the phone for any of our products and drop ship to your home.

CIPA-USA

Customer Service.

did they have any pics of how it looks installed on the newer yukons/tahoes ??

billp

Reaction score
Problem Auto Dimming Mirrors

Similar problem here

I have a 2008 with added tint on front side windows. The rearview mirror appears to be a bit on the dark side and the driver's sideview mirror is quite dark, almost to the point of being nonusable at times.

I though it was just the added tint on the window but when I roll the front windows down the driver's sideview mirror is noticeably darker than the passenger sideview mirror.

Also when I turnoff the dimming mirrors, I don't notice much improvement.

ibobby

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Similar problem here

I have a 2008 with added tint on front side windows. The rearview mirror appears to be a bit on the dark side and the driver's sideview mirror is quite dark, almost to the point of being nonusable at times.

I though it was just the added tint on the window but when I roll the front windows down the driver's sideview mirror is noticeably darker than the passenger sideview mirror.

Also when I turnoff the dimming mirrors, I don't notice much improvement.

ya man. I have very same problem. exactly the same way you described what you noticed. I've turned my off several times but nothing happens.

ibobby

Full Access Member
Reaction score
:smilielol: LOL

but its crazy to have one dark mirror. I'll ask about it next time to go in for service.

ibobby

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I tested the feature out tonight in stop and go traffic. I rolled the windows down and turned the dimming off & on a few times to see the differences.

It does work. dimming/undimming seems to take about 6-10 seconds. It doesnt dimming that much...just enough to take a but of glare out. My window tint does about twice as much as the dimming feature. So combining the dimming with my tint, it makes headlights look like small spot lights. :D There were several different cars behind me, even a BMW with those bright HIDs.

Stargazer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
but its crazy to have one dark mirror.
That's what bugs me. The driver's side works great, dimming when necessary. But I need the passenger side to dim because I spend most of my time passing people and that's where their lights show up :D.

chrizg

Reaction score
Will that little mirror interfere with the power folding mirrors?