Tuning

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bisignano

Reaction score
I know this subject has been discussed in great detail, however, I have a few questions that just don't seem to be answered. What do these products offer that GM should be already programming into the systems? It has been discussed that better horsepower and fuel mileage seem to be the biggest gain. My '07 5.3 does pretty well. About the same as my '04 Saturn Vue did. Just more ponies. Why aren't these programs being put in the OEM computers. It is obvious that the vehicles can handle it and the outcome is much better for the consumer. I would love to have the mileage and not have to worry about how I take off from the light. Even if I want to pass someone on the highway, I really don't want to have to look to see my mileage go to 4 mpg or worse.
Are these tuners really worth it? Can you reprogram the vehicle back to the stock settings? How does the vehicle run if you remove the tuner and drive without it? Any help would be great.

Slammed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
they dont included it because they are all in kahoots with the oil companies if you waste more gas then they make more money heck they might even be the ones who sell the programer just to make more money

radkon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tuning involves the optimization of a complete system made of several parts with their own variables. Think of it this way, GM needs to tune the car/truck for tolerances within each part of the system (intake, engine, trans, even wheels and tires). They also need to be able to accommodate everything from no load cruising a sea level to hauling the max load at 10,000 ft+. What you are doing when tuning is optimizing each part of your complete system within their specific tolerances.

GTO2050

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They are tuned for reliability, emmissions, and conservatively as well. Some of the newer cars such as the new BMW 335 is not tuned so conservatively now and maybe difficult to squeeze more performance out of it.