still runnung rich 95 tahoe

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

adam74

Full Access Member
Reaction score
95 tahoe tbi. have replaced everything except the tps, map sensor and throttle body itself, full tune up. still runs rich especially before warm up. one thing Ive noticed is if it sits for a few days the tb hangs up as if the butterflies catch on something. its not in the cable its in the tb. after it 'uncatches' it wont hang up anymore. also the ses light has come on twice over the past 6 months for the tps which might be the problem? has a slightly rough idle at times but not like a miss. anyone else have this problem?

lesterl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The Vortecs get carbon buildup in the throttle body, IDK about TBI....

Make shure the map sensor has vacume to it.

How do you know it is running rich? Symptoms? CTS sensor replaced (the one near the thermostat, not the one in the drivers head)?

adam74

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yes replaced the cts. it smells really rich at initial start and the emissions report , which it passed, but still showed running rich. new y pipe with cat and o2 sensor. all vacuum lines are hooked up.

lesterl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
o2 sensor wont do anything with the mix untill it has had some time to come up to temp.

How cold? TBI runs a fuel enrichment program when cold (electronic choking of sorts) as it is a wet manifold and they know alot of the fuel will condense back out of the air.

Compression? Ignition?

adam74

Full Access Member
Reaction score
still showed running rich at normal operating temp when I got it inspected but really bad judging by the smell at start up. hadnt done a compression test. new cap, rotor,plugs and wires

adam74

Full Access Member
Reaction score
when I originally bought it it had a 180 thermostat in it. put the stock 195 in and it helped but not enough I guess

lesterl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
check the injector spray pattern by hooking up a timing light and using the pulses to "freeze frame" the spray pattern, does it look ok?

adam74

Full Access Member
Reaction score
good idea. Ill try that and get back to you. I know theyre supposed to have a perfect 'umbrella' pattern