Roof Rack Cross Rails

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hoelicow

Reaction score
I'm looking for more information on the cross rails for the roof rack for an '08 Hoe. There are two part numbers listed;

19154851 Roof Rack Integrated Cross Rails

12499281 Roof Rack Up Level Cross Rails

On GM Accessory websites the discription for both of these rails is identical and mentions that the Uplevel Racks are 25% larger than the factory (integrated?) cross rails. Are they larger in width or thickness? Do they sit higher above the vehicle? I've inquired at a number of Chevy dealers and they look at me like I'm from Mars - nobody seems to have a clue as to just what difference, if any (other than price), there is between these two cross rails. :zav:

I had a '97 Tahoe that had the factory rack and rails. I put a Packasport fiberglass carrier on it and the thing would bounce up and down and bump off the roof with every bump in the road, so flimsy and flexible were the factory rails. I'd like to use the same carrier again on my '08 and I'd like to avoid the thing bouncing around on the roof but at the same time I don't want the truck to look like it's going on an African Safari by virtue of having humongous rails on the roof. :ack:

Any insight you could provide would be appreciated!

summer09

Reaction score
the uplever racks were large in thickness and i think that's ok because it will be study and strong...

bkooman

Reaction score
I am using a Yakima rack. It is slightly more expensive, but you have plenty more options. The parts include “low rider” towers and a pair of 54” cross bars. (plus locks) My only complaint is that our trucks are rather tall and putting items on the roof rack can be challenging at times.

bkooman

Reaction score
I am using a Yakima rack. It is slightly more expensive, but you have plenty more options. The parts include “low rider†towers and a pair of 54†cross bars. (plus locks) My only complaint is that our trucks are rather tall and putting items on the roof rack can be challenging at times.

Greystone07

Reaction score
when i went to get my tahoe from the Stealer i asked them where the cross rails were ...the Jacka$$ sailsman replied nobody ever uses them,,,,,,:lol: and my reply was PUT THEM ON.... i use them,,,, and have many times since the purchase.....so after arguing with him after he tried to sell them to me they took them off another truck and installed them.....
i think the comment i made about cancelling the truck did it,,,,

i cant beleive all these stealers are trying to save money by taking them offf:cuss:

ChevyGirl

Reaction score
Im looking to sell mine!! If your interested? I have the 08 Tahoe LTZ

Hoelicow

Reaction score
Greystone I'm with you. Last time I checked this was a Sport Utility Vehicle. As such lots of people carry stuff on their roofs...kayaks, bikes, carriers, etc. I was shocked to learn that the cross rails are not part of the stock package. Robbery!

73shark

Full Access Member
Reaction score
when i went to get my tahoe from the Stealer i asked them where the cross rails were ...the Jacka$$ sailsman replied nobody ever uses them,,,,,,:lol: and my reply was PUT THEM ON.... i use them,,,, and have many times since the purchase.....so after arguing with him after he tried to sell them to me they took them off another truck and installed them.....
i think the comment i made about cancelling the truck did it,,,,

i cant beleive all these stealers are trying to save money by taking them offf:cuss:

The cross-rails are optional (~$45), ie, they don't come w/ the truck.

Greystone07

Reaction score
The cross-rails are optional (~$45), ie, they don't come w/ the truck.
i hear ya :thumbsup:but at 45,000 for this sled it pissed me off that they played that game....they gave them to me for free,,,,,,
for another 10,000 i could have had a smoking vett....