Pinon seal replacement questions?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gdk771

Reaction score
OK a few questions about the pinon seal on the rear differential on a 1999 4x4 with 190k on it. Its leaking gear oil out the differential housing where the rear shaft connects so it looks like I have a leaking pinon seal. Are these very difficult to replace for someone who has never done it before?

1. I understand you have to preload the bearings if you remove the rear seal and tighten down the differential yoke. Anyone know the procedure for this?

2. How do you hold the rear differential plate stationary to tighten the nut down to preload this?

3. Is there a way to drain the differential other than replacing the entire rear cover? I see there are multiple cover and pinon seal sizes, don't know which one I have. Anyway to tell before I take it apart? (10 hole cover? 8.5 inch seal??)

4. What would you recommend I replace the differential fluid with? Will standard 90W work or is Royal purple, sythetic, etc better? Do you need to add friction modifier to it?

5.Anything else I should replace? I saw something mentioned about a crush washer but don't know if this applies to replacing the seal or not. I'm probably going to replace the U joints while I am in there already as well.

Thanks for any help or suggestions